Water softener installation help

Old 03-26-06, 08:50 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Water softener installation help

Hello,
I just found this website and am amazed at all the usefull information I can find here!! Anyhow, I have a question on installing a water softener. I just moved into a new construction house we had built. One of the options we selected with the builder was a water softener rough-in. Now, it is time for me to install the water softener my wife just bought(kenmore) and I have some questions. The rough-in consists of 2 loops coming out of the wall. the top loop is a little bit smaller and contains the red valve shutoff, and the bottom loop comes out of the wall maybe about a foot. It is the blue vinyl (flexible?) piping with a diameter of 3/4 ". In the installation manual, it has directions for soldered copper or pvc in and out pipes to the softener, and threaded pipes in and out to softener. So, I am kind of lost on how to connect these vinyl (if thats what they are) pipes to the softener. I am assuming I would have to use a hacksaw and cut the bottom loop in two places and then somehow connect them to the softener. Also, the top loop with the shut off valve, is that basically to shut off the water just to the softener? And one more question..the installation manual says the in and out fittings included with the softener are 1" NPT threaded adapters and that I should maintain the same or larger pipe size as the water supply pipe, up to the softener inlet and outlet. If my loops are 3/4" is this going to be a problem? I'm sure this are probably easy questions to answer, but I just want to be sure before I try to install it...or maybe I should just pay the 189 bucks to have it installed, but if it just consists of a little work that seems like a waste! Thanks for any help you can give!

Old 03-26-06, 09:06 AM
J
If you're sure that the Kenmore softener you bought is adequate for the condition of your water and your water usage then I'd pay the $189 for the installation. There's nothing wrong with paying someone for their knowledge, experience, and they have the tools and know those softeners. If you have a problem with the softener down the road then you'll get better support if it was professionally installed.

There's no way of knowing how your builder set this up but if you can move it closer to the keyboard so we can see it maybe we can help

If you MUST try it yourself ... you'll have a service and return for the softener and a drain line for the softener and a drain line for the brine tank.

Honestly, I'd spend the $189 and have someone to scream at if it leaks

Old 03-27-06, 11:24 AM
A
jsteel77,

It looks like the plumbing contractor installed PEX but two loops? You may want to doublecheck with the builder as to which is which and make sure the installer is certified to work with PEX for home warranty purposes. Good luck out there and enjoy the soft water when it's done!

Art

Old 04-10-06, 01:14 PM
J
elements

Oops, wrong thread.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: