Kinetico troubleshooting question

Old 07-13-06, 10:27 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Kinetico troubleshooting question

I have a Kinetico water softener that ran out of salt and now I can't get it to recharge. I followed the manual recharging directions in the manual, which involved engaging the bypass valve, depresurizing the water pressure in the house, and then turning the screw on the assembly on top of the tanks until you hear about five clicks, and then re-opening the bypass valve, etc.

I got about one click out of the deal, but it seemed to be recharging (briefly), but then nothing happened and it hasn't since.

I noticed this morning while trying it again, that the little gear in the assembly is not connected to the screw. At least turning the screw does nothing to the gear.

Should turning the screwhead also turn the gear?

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Old 07-13-06, 11:07 AM
C
Well, I went back down there for another look and figured out what the problem was (slaps forehead with palm of hand). Apparently you have to push down on the screwhead. Probably should have paid more attention to the details in the manual. So now it's recharging.

But I do have another question:

Poking around this very imformative site, I saw mention made of the need to replace the resin in the tanks about once every 10 years. I've owned this house for the past 3 years and never even changed the filter, and I'm guessing the people who I bought the place from never did any maintenance on the Kinetico either.

So I'm guessing it's time to start thinking about changing the resin in the tanks and get serious about filter replacement.

So, is replacing the resin something a reasonably handy person should consider tackling? If so, what would be a good place to buy the resin and is there a particular kind I should look for?

Old 07-13-06, 12:05 PM
J
If the water is holding soft until the softener regenerates then the resin is OK. You can check softness with test strips.

Here's a good place to buy test strips ... http://www.americanwaterservice.com/
Nice people and good prices with reasonable shipping costs.

It's not a bad idea to pour a gallon of hot TAP water down the brine well (round tube where the float lives in the brine tank) once a month or so. Keeps the salt (or potassium) from lumping or clumping or bridging at the brine pick-up.

The filter is another matter. As the filter catches more junk it becomes more of a restriction of the water flow. Best thing is to have a pressure gauge before and after the filter. When you see a real difference in the pressure gauges (before and after the filter) during water usage then "time for a new filter element grasshopper".

If the water doesn't hold soft till regeneration then you can buy resin and do it yourself ( buy resin here ) or call the local Kinetico dealer and ask them for an estimate to compare.

Old 07-13-06, 12:17 PM
C
Hey thanks, 'lurker. Since my softener is right next to my hot water heater, pouring a hot gallon of water down the tube should be easy.

And I like the idea of pressure gauges on either side of the filter. Beautiful in its simplicity and utility.

Old 07-13-06, 12:59 PM
J
Yea, ain't technology wonderful. Gauges ... who'd of thought?

Pressure loss across the filter monitored by gauges before and after is THE way to know when to change the element.

These gauges are pretty cool and have "tattletale" peak needles.
clcik here for Watts pressure gauge
Just unscrew gauge from hose bib adapter and they are pipe thread. I've seen them at the HD for about $10

I'd use hot tap water and not use the drain valve on your water heater more than absolutely necessary. They have a habit of leaking when used too often.

Old 07-13-06, 01:08 PM
C
I have a heat exchanger (wood-fired boiler) plumbed into my hot water heater, so it's got a boiler drain instead of the cheap plastic faucett that water heaters come with.

Give me a chance to cut and solder copper pipe and fittings, and I'm all over it.

Looks like we're all going to have to learn to work with pex for the time being, however, at least for jobs with any distance to them. Wish there was a similar alternative for wiring.

Thanks again.

Old 07-13-06, 01:14 PM
J
Yea, and 20 years down the road they'll decide PEX wasn't such a great idea and we'll be replacing that with ????? copper?

I heard that PEX was banned in new construction in San Diego cause the mice and rats like it too much. Might just be a rumor.

Old 07-13-06, 01:21 PM
C
I've heard that it doesn't do heat very well, which is why I used 1" copper for the boiler project (275 feet). Of course, that was a few years ago when the copper was a buck a foot.

I'm just waiting for when they find out that latex/acrylic paint is some kind of environmental or health hazard. Thenwaddwedo?

Old 07-13-06, 02:12 PM
J
back on point.......the resin in a kinetico should last a lifetime......if you are on a municipal water system, that could be reduced by chlorine.......there is no need to poor hot water into the brine tank if you are using salt and the unit is functioning properly.....if you are using potassium, I would simply suggest not adding as much to the tank.

Old 07-13-06, 03:18 PM
C
Thanks JDP. I do have city water, so I'll keep an eye on it.

I should say that I emailed the same question to the Kinetico tech support and got a nice response within a couple of hours. I half expected them to suggest I call my Kinetico dealer, but they didn't. Instead they suggested I push down on the screw head (which I'd already figured out). Good advice & much appreciated. "They should all be so easy" is what they said when I wrote back, suggesting that they have the staff and the inclination to help their customers directly.

Old 12-21-08, 11:35 AM
D
Kinetico Water pressure loss

I have really started to notice a loss in water pressure that appears to be from the Kinetico system. Any ideas how to either increase it or what the problem might be. It is two years old and I change the filter regularly. My water is from a well and have just noticed this in the last few months.

Old 12-21-08, 05:17 PM
A
What are your water conditions? Which system do you have? Do you have a Kinetico or generic prefilter? Did you buy it new or used?

What is your pressure at the pressure switch?

Old 12-22-08, 07:16 PM
D
Kinetico loss of water pressure.

The system I have is the 2060S purchased new in March 2006 and installed by the dealer. The current pressure reading is 50 PSI in the tank guage and the filters are those sold by the dealer. The pressure tank (Well-X-trol was installed in 1994) is very light in weightand seems empty, is it supposed to have water in it? Our water is very hard but I forget the number. I contacted Kinetico with the question of how to increase water pressure and they will only refer me to a dealer whom I contacted and he just said to change the filter. One plumber told me to tighten the tall post within the pressure switch housing which I have not done. I read on the internet to expect some pressure drop but mine seems too much. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 12-22-08, 08:04 PM
A
Is this the filter you have? If not, then you don't have a Kinetico filter.

Problems with the pressure tnak can be easily corrected. You may either have too much air in the tank or not enough water. Either way, it won't work properly. If your pressure switch is set at, say, 30-50, then yoiur air pressure should be set at 28lbs (two pounds below kick in). But you must empty the water completely before adjusting air pressure.

Get this checked out and get back with us.

Andy Christensen, CWS-II

Old 01-03-09, 05:36 PM
D
Water Pressure problems solved

Finally got the well service guy out after the holidays. After all it was not the Kinetico at all. The "foot valve" had gone bad and part of the piping had a split in it. About $385 later I now have the best water pressure I have ever had. He also upped the pressure to 70PSi. thanks for all the help

D

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: