Filtering lake water

Old 10-06-06, 09:41 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Filtering lake water

Need some help. I get my water from a lake and I filter it the water is good for swimming and we cook with it. not the cleanest water is there a system out there that i can install to make the water drinkable. my next option is to drill a well which is a little to costly for me.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-06, 09:56 AM
J
Run, don't walk and take a water sample to an independent lab for a COMPLETE water test BEFORE you rely on ANY filter to make that water safe to drink.

Don't bother with a water test from Sears ... find a real lab, your health will depend on it.

Aside from hardness and minerals there can be ALL kinds of bad stuff in lake water. Things live in that lake and drink in that lake and @##$%^ in that lake.

Once you know what's in the water you can research how to treat it.

Old 10-07-06, 02:57 PM
T
USE ONLY WATER THAT HAS BEEN PROPERLY DISINFECTED FOR DRINKING, COOKING, MAKING ANY PREPARED DRINK, OR FOR BRUSHING TEETH.

http://epa.gov/safewater/faq/emerg.html

Old 10-09-06, 09:29 AM
A
Can you tell us a little more about the actual lake from which you are drawing water?

Is the public access? Types of wildlife or domestic animals? How is the lake fed; streams, runoff, spring? Any gasoline driven motorboats?
Size, depth, any currents?

Different types of lake waters will have a varying types of treatment in addition to the actual water analysis, which may or may not be consistent

Some kind of flocculation/coalgualtion system may be needed in addition to othe mineral and organic removal systems. Disinfection will be required and there are numerous, reliable systems for that. Some are more expensive and others need 'babysitting'.

Andy

Old 10-11-06, 01:27 PM
B
Originally Posted by AndyC
Can you tell us a little more about the actual lake from which you are drawing water?

Is the public access? Types of wildlife or domestic animals? How is the lake fed; streams, runoff, spring? Any gasoline driven motorboats?
Size, depth, any currents?

Different types of lake waters will have a varying types of treatment in addition to the actual water analysis, which may or may not be consistent

Some kind of flocculation/coalgualtion system may be needed in addition to othe mineral and organic removal systems. Disinfection will be required and there are numerous, reliable systems for that. Some are more expensive and others need 'babysitting'.

Andy
Thanks guys, the lake is approx 1 mile long and 1/2 mile wide deepest part is 70' where i get my water is approx 30' deep. I ran into a guy who live s on the lake and gets his water from the lake also but he uses a reverse osmosis system to clean the water has it tested every spring and comes out perfect. anybody have experience with these systems. Thanks!

Old 10-13-06, 02:22 PM
A
I have treated private pond waters for residential use as well as water coming from Lake Erie (Pelee Island, Canada).

For private ponds in Ohio the basic water treatment is using a chem-feeder to mix alum (aluminum sulfate) into the water regulated by the pressure switch. This is a flocculation and helps clear the water for any further treatment.

This is followed by an iodine feed. There it goes into 200gal retention, or twenty minute contact time, which ever is longer. Then into a backwashing media filter and softener. Water was finally treated by a 5-micron filter, UV and RO for drinking.

This worked very well but a booster pump may need to be added.

With lake wells (a hole drilled into the beach with a concrete cistern catchment) we put a wire mesh screen (get the frogs and logs out), 20-micron big blue filter followed by quad-tank filter softener filtering down to 3-5 microns and then followed by a UV and RO.

There are other combinations depending on flow rate needed, contaminates in the water and desired ultimate quality. Disinfection is best served by multiple methods as a back up.

Sequence of quality equipment is very important as not to overwhelm any one piece. When in doubt: go the extra step.

Each is a case by case basis.

Andy