Under sink water filter problems

Old 11-20-06, 12:56 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Under sink water filter problems

I have one those 2 stage under sink water filter systems (came with the house) and I am having troubles with the lack of water flow from the tap on the side of the sink. I changed both filters with the ones the guy at Home Depot recommended. The water pressure worked great for a short while, like 4 hours, then it went to a very slow drizzle. I then took out the carbon filter and the pressure was perfect so I know it is the carbon filter that is the issue. I tried replacing it will another one, different model, and same issue. Worked great for a short while, then a drizzle again. What's the deal? We are having some water issues in our area and have been told to only boil water. Could the water be so bad that it just clogs the carbon filter too fast? Also, which filter should go first in terms of closest to the water input, the carbon one or the white cloth filter?

Old 11-20-06, 04:39 PM
Super Moderator
Received 43 Votes on 41 Posts
The sediment filter should be before the carbon filter..........Is it?

Your cartridges will have a rating for how fine its filtration is.
Generally, micron ratings of up to five microns is a failrly fine filter and a coarse one would be in the range of 25 or so microns.
If you are in the Vancouver area I have heard that turbidity or cloudiness is the problem and if so you have to decide if you want to filter more out with more frequent cartridge replacements.

If you let us know exactly which filter and cartidges you have we may be able to offer more help.

Old 11-20-06, 05:50 PM
S
The filters were by GE, model #FXSLC (rev. 2). I put the carbonn one where the cold water comes in and then it passes to the white cloth looking one. Should it be the other way round? It looked like this was the way it was supposed to go from the picture, but that could be totally wrong.

Old 11-20-06, 06:32 PM
Super Moderator
I'm not sure what GE had in mind for assembling their system but my preference is to protect the more expensive carbon cartridge with a sediment filter before it.
The GE site says to install the #1 cartridge in the #1 holder and #2 in the #2 holder???...............They don't say which is which.

http://products.geappliances.com/ApplProducts/images/t07/0000017/r17104v-1.pdf

Old 11-20-06, 08:39 PM
S
It looks like the filter 1 is the plain white one and the filter 2 is the carbon one that filters all the major stuff (see page 3). Ok, now based on this, I switched the filters but the water is still just an trinkle. Could it be that our turbiditty levels are just too high (in Vancouver)? They worked fine before this water problem. Is there any way to fix this? Seems odd that you can't use these filters during the time that you would actually really need them.

Old 11-20-06, 09:06 PM
Super Moderator
The filters you have are meant to treat potable water.
Seeing as you are under a boil water order your water is not currently potable.
Considering the present situation your filters are just doing their job.
If you now have the sediment filter first I would suggest you buy another set and see how long they last.

Think I heard that your water is not presently filtered during its treatment but will be so when new plants under construction are completed...... Is this so?

Old 11-20-06, 11:22 PM
J
If you've been told to boil your water NO FILTER will make that water safe to consume. If there's bacteria in the water it will pass through the sediment (white) filter and probably populate the carbon filter.

Bacteria loves carbon and those carbon filters can foul very easily. If you had the carbon filter installed first I'm pretty sure that you fouled that filter.

Regarding correct filter installation, the sediment (white) filter is first and the carbon is second.

Stay away from the Home Depot unless you need 2x4s.

The fact that your house had that filter infers that there was something objectionable about the water. Once the water crisis is over I'd get a complete water test from an independant lab to see what is in the water. You may need more treatment than a simple filter can provide.

I'd also sanitize that filter housing before consuming any water run through it.

You'd be wise to not use that water until this is sorted out.

Old 11-21-06, 10:23 AM
J
Lurker's right.......there is no "filter" available that is a safe alternative to boiling water....... however there is a R/O on the market that is........take a look at Kinetico Purefecta........it's expensive, but if your water supplier is actually admitting there is a problem that requires boiling, no price is to high IMO.

Old 07-11-08, 08:07 AM
J
FXSLC removal

I am trying to replace the filter Fxslc rev 2. do i need any tools like 'GE SmartWater Filter Sump Wrench (WX5X140)'?

i was not able to remove the old filters from the unit by hand.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: