Addie Water Systems Review Wanted

Old 12-07-06, 12:57 PM
D
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Addie Water Systems Review Wanted

I am interested in knowing any information about Addie Water Systems Model FMP-948-31T water softener. I have sent to the company for literature but I would like to know more about the equipment reliability maintenance, salt use, etc.

Old 12-07-06, 01:31 PM
J
Never heard of them and can't find any detailed info about them on the web.

If you can point to a web site or tech info then we might be able to help.

One thing unilaterally applies... in real estate it's location, location, location and with water treatment it's DEALER, DEALER, DEALER. Check their references and check them out with the BBB and state consumer affairs department.

Old 12-07-06, 05:12 PM
D
Thumbs down

I know Addie Water Systems manufactures softeners for Supreme Water Systems and may do the same for American Water Treatment. When I do a search for FMP-948-31T, it results in a list of U.S. government approved systems. What ever that means. I'll know more when I get the literature, but it will not tell me what I really need to know.

Old 12-07-06, 05:43 PM
J
"When I do a search for FMP-948-31T, it results in a list of U.S. government approved systems". All that means is that Addie is probably assembling industry standard softeners, having them tested, and then dramatically jacking up the price. There is no one softener company that has a "magic" advantage over the competition. Ion exchange water softening is chemistry, physics, and mechanics. The basic differences in softeners are industry standard (Fleck, Autotrol) or proprietary designed control valves, quality of materials (tanks, resin, stuff they are made of), and intelligence of design (EZ to service, reliability).

If tech info from Addie Water Systems is that hard to come by then I wouldn't want to own any of their products.

Ok, water softener 101 ...

First, get a complete water test from an independent lab. This is a MUST DO because without it everything is a guess. A quickie water test from Sears or a water softener company won't be complete. They only test for the "profitable" stuff.

Second, hit the Yellow Pages and call at least three local water treatment pros. Make sure you call at least one of the big dogs like Kinetico or Culligan and at least a couple independent pros. DON'T TELL THEM YOU HAD YOUR WATER TESTED.

Give each an opportunity to offer suggestions and provide you with a quote to meet your water treatment needs. IGNORE ANY THAT DON'T TEST YOUR WATER THEMSELVES as they can't speak intelligently to water treatment without knowing what needs to be treated.

Ask lots of questions. Warranty, parts & labor, how long? Install, permits required, licensed plumber? Routine maintenance and costs? Do they stock parts? Response time for emergency (water leak) calls? The time and care they take educating you BEFORE the sale is a great indicator of how you'll be treated AFTER the sale.

After they've gone use your water test to compare with their's. Are all your treatment needs being addressed?

Ask your neighbors if they have any water treatment experience. They might tell you who's good or who to avoid.

Come back here and post the specific recommendations and hardware with the costs and we'll give you our opinions.

If you're a DIYer then you have other options ...
http://ohiopurewaterco.com/shop/customer/home.php?cat=179

These other threads may interest you ...
http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=284967
http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=285326

You have to "cut & paste" as HTML is turned off on this forums.

Last edited by justalurker; 12-08-06 at 10:34 AM.
Old 11-28-07, 10:37 PM
M
mtbnest

I DIY installed one of these softeners in my basement 7 years ago and have had zero problems w/it, other than a lot of head-scratching to figure out how to set it up--the instructions were a little confusing to a guy who had never even seen one before. Bought this one at Blain's Farm & Fleet for about $300.00.
Add salt pellets to the brine tank about twice a year and let 'er go--simple and reliable as far as I'm concerned. Definitely effective at softening the water--that's how I know the salt's getting low--soap doesn't lather up any more when I shower or wash dishes--here in central rural Wisconsin we've VERY hard water--a lot of lime. WIfe says it make the water taste a little salty but I've never noticed a difference in taste--but that's not saying much ':-)

Old 12-13-08, 08:36 PM
M
Smile FMP-948-31T has a Fleck 5600 on-demand meter with a noryl plastic valve

:Peeping On U2:

FYI:
The Addie FMP-948-31T (32,000 grain capacity) has a Fleck 5600 on-demand meter with a noryl plastic valve.

It lacks the fancy SE digital control thingy, but I figure its' demand-based regeneration is adequate. I'm not sure I need to pay extra for a unit with microprocessor/fax/scan/print/automatic-diaper-changer.

I bought one yesterday in Madison, WI at Farm and Fleet for $460 on sale (normally $499).

My search skills show $470 for an equivalent unit at
Water treatment, water softener, water conditioners, Fleck 5600 water softener

But, I will admit that without the sale, the free shipping from Ohio would win.

Addie has no web site that I can find, but there's a nice article on them from 3-5-2008 here, with company info:
http://www.communityshoppers.com/tea...dfs/JM0305.pdf

Last edited by mr_edly; 12-13-08 at 09:21 PM. Reason: Manufacturer info

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: