Autotrol vs. Fleck 5600

Old 12-16-06, 08:15 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Autotrol vs. Fleck 5600

I have been using a system with a Fleck 5600 control valve for about 13 years now. We have a very bad iron problem (5-8 ppm) and I am tearing the Fleck apart about every two years to rebuild it because it gets all clogged up. I am thinking about going with another system that uses an Autotrol valve instead.

I'm not really sure which Autotrol it is, but it works on a cam system that opens flaps. The company that sells this system says to NEVER use Fleck valves when you have an iron problem just for the reason of the spacers clogging.

So my question is...are these Autotrol valves really that much better in this respect? Are the parts for these valves readily available and easy to find? I'd hate to go with a new type of valve only to find that it clogs up too and that the parts are tough to get. It seems like EVERYONE sells parts for the Fleck valves.

Thanks,
Russ

Old 12-30-06, 09:16 AM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
fleckvsautotrol

I am assuming you are using potassium to regenerate. No matter what you do, you will have to clean the control.The good thing about Autotrol, you do not have to buy the seals/spacer kit and pistons...you clean the unit. I suggest to take the unit apart and boil the head ( 1 part muriatic acid and 3 parts cold water ) soak the control until it quits bubbling. The acid is eating away the crapola.....

On the autotrol, you have to replace the injector every 6 months ( fleck has one too, most people do not know to clean and/or replace) its like an air breather on a car almost, must keep everything flowing.

also, the pot tank, on the inside has a float, suggest to clean every year,,replace every 4-8 years,,,

the control you are looking for would be / autotrol performa 268FA valve

i use / www.internetwatersupplies.com
click the autotrol tab . then click for valves, the complete valves/fa means its an iron filter, not softener control
Good luck

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: