newly installed gas water heater tilted - should i concern?

Old 01-26-07, 10:44 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question newly installed gas water heater tilted - should i concern?

Hi, I just had a 40Gal Whirlpool water heater installed in my garage by a Lowe's contractor yesterday, and I noticed that it tilted about 10-15 degree towards the left side, i think what happened was the old water heater (also 40Gal) we had was shorter so then the guy had to alter the pipes a bit higher but he didn't do a good job (he replace only one pipe instead of two) so he end up had to tilt the tank a bit to fit it in there.

We paid 400 dollars for the installation (260 regular charge and 136 additional pipe alternation). My questions is, besides that it doesn't look quite nice (straight up) as before, is there safety concerns? also will this negatively affect how the heater perform in long term? Thanks very much!

Milaj

Old 01-26-07, 11:23 AM
R
Call Lowe's and ask to have their contractors representative inspect the installation. Tell them you have a complaint. It sound like the installer did not want to go to the store to get the proper length of brass pipe or copper tubing. No heater should be installed on a tilt. Lowe's could get themselves in trouble as they are responsible for the sub contractors workmanship.

Old 01-27-07, 04:18 AM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
It shouldn't be tilted. That's a LOT of weight that's off kilter. The fact that it is gas operated and gas burns straight up is also of great concern, it's possible the flame is no longer confined to the designated burning area.

Old 02-01-07, 01:13 PM
S
$400 for a water heater install is highway robbery. How do those people sleep at night.

Old 02-08-07, 10:29 AM
M
Originally Posted by steven15516
$400 for a water heater install is highway robbery. How do those people sleep at night.
Obviously don't have much of a conscience or they would've done the job right the first time.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: