Cold Water Soft but Hot Water Not

Old 02-24-07, 02:09 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Cold Water Soft but Hot Water Not

I'm hoping someone can offer possible cause of our problem with our water softner. We are in the process of getting the water softner that was in the house when we purchased it 2 months ago up and going. It is a Culligan Estate system. We had Culligan perform a service check on system to look it over; all seemed fine, however it has been 3 weeks and the water tests are pretty wacky. After a week, both hot and cold showed still hard. Today, another water test (by Culligan rep) showed cold water soft but hot water hard. The Culligan rep - a salesman not technician - was baffled. He plans to do some research and get back with me before I call a technician out again (this will be their 3rd visit). I am wondering if anyone has ideas what would cause this. I realize I may need to provide more info in order to get assistance, but not sure what info to give. The previous info I found on this forum was very valuable in asking questions to Culligan so far. Glad I stumbled on it.

Old 02-24-07, 02:22 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

We had Culligan perform a service check on system to look it over; all seemed fine, however it has been 3 weeks and the water tests are pretty wacky. After a week, both hot and cold showed still hard.
Hey they did it you paid for it. Call the main office and see if that dont get things working.

Old 02-24-07, 06:25 PM
A
There is usually one reason why hot and cold have different hardness results with the hot water usually harder (the opposite CAN occur). Single tank systems have a limited capacity to treat water before they pass untreated water into service.

They regenerate at 2am, say, but their capacity may have run out early in the day and upto hundreds of gallons may have passed into the house as untreated-- or less than fully treated water.

The heater gets filled with hard water. The next day, the cold is soft and the hot is hard. As soft water gradually replaces the hard water, the heater tries to catch up, sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't.

Your softener is not set up properly and should probably regenerate more often or be replaced with a larger unit.

Twin tank system don't let this aspect of hardness overkill happen.

Andy Christensen CWS

Old 02-25-07, 08:29 AM
G
Thanks for helpful info

Thanks for that info. It certainly gives me a place to start and questions to ask. Appreciate the responses.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: