What kind of filter

Old 02-26-07, 10:35 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
What kind of filter

I posted my well water problems under the well topic, but I thought I'd ask here also. To recap, my well water is very milky looking. It appears to be very fine sediment in the water. It will settle out after several days of sitting undisturbed in a clear glass. After that, the water if clear, but with a milky layer in the bottom. Draining off the water and leaving the milky substance to dry, leaves a residue that seems nearly as fine as Talcum powder. Is there any filter which I can install to take out the fine sediment, and not have to replace the filter cartridge every day or so. I tried a GE filter, and it lasted less than 36 hours before we lost water flow to the kitchen sink.
Old 02-26-07, 08:03 PM
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Northwest Ohio
Posts: 1,246
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
It sounds like you may have an insoluble solid. Water that 'dirty' will put any replaceable cartridge to task, as you have learned.

A backwashing filter will probably be the answer, but I am willing to bet there are additional problems that require additional equipment. If the problem is colloidal, then a flocculation/coagulation system may be required. This calls for a larger space to occupy the necessary equipment.

Get more detailed tests before concluding on what equipment that best serves your water needs.

Andy Christensen CWS

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: