Fleck 5600 Econo problems

Old 04-12-07, 12:10 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Fleck 5600 Econo problems

My 8 year old fleck water softener has suddenly quit producing softened water on a consistent basis. It has a 9" x 48" tank and my pre-softened water has a hardness of 18 grains/gal. and iron content of .25 ppm. It appears to soften adequately for a few days when I manually regenerate it but it's difficult to tell because the hot water heater typically refills with hard water before I get chance to manually intervene.

Anyway I think I've narrowed the issue down to the metering system. I have checked the meter, cable, impellor and drive pinion. They all appear to be working fine. The problem I believe is with the program wheel. The clear hardness wheel (people dial) does not firmly lock into the program wheel. For example in the Fleck Service Manual it says: "Set program wheel by lifting the “people” dial and rotating it so that the number of people in the household is aligned with the household grains per gallon water hardness. Release the dial and check for firm engagement at setting." This firm engagement is not evident when I try adjusting the "people wheel". I can feel some dull detents but would not consider it "firm engagement".

Is this a common or likely failure in my system. To resolve it can I just secure (glue or pin) the two wheels together? Is this a symptom of some other problem? What would you recommend?

Old 04-12-07, 02:30 PM
J
I'd make sure there isn't a salt bridge in the bottom of the brine tank. Have you cleaned out the brine tank at least once a year?

With iron, have you been routinely using a maintenance product like Iron Out?

There's a good troubleshooting procedure for the fleck 5600 here...

http://softenerparts.zoovy.com/category/0600/
you have to "copy & paste" as HTML is turned off on this forum.

Old 04-12-07, 07:28 PM
S
Fleck

Thank you for the reply justalurker.

Yes I clean the brine tank regularly - salt usage doesn't seem to be an issue as long as I manually regenerate.

I use Red Out Dura Cube and an occasional shot of Iron Out (About 4 cups a quarter).

I started with the troubleshooting guide you reference, that's how I determined the impeller, meter and etc. were in working order.

What do you think about the program wheel issue I mentioned?

Old 04-12-07, 08:07 PM
J
Nice to see that you're doing your routine maintenance, now on to the problem...

Move it closer to the keyboard so I can see it... just kidding.

Sounds like you figured it out. If the mating teeth are worn then you'd have the problem you're decribing. Those parts are cheap enough to take a chance.

You can get them here...

http://softenerparts.zoovy.com/category/1100/

or here...

http://ohiopurewaterco.com/shop/customer/home.php?cat=525

Perhaps you can get what you need locally.

Let us know how it goes.

Old 04-13-07, 05:15 AM
S
Removing the timer knob

I noticed there is just a sticker/label covering a screw to remove the program wheel but what does it take to remove the timer knob (the one used to say, manually regemerate). Do I just pull on it or is there a screw some how holding it on?

***Nevermind I see the sticker covering the screw like the other wheel (I wish I could figure out how to just delete these replies somtimes!)*****

Last edited by skkffl; 04-13-07 at 10:10 AM.
Old 04-13-07, 10:29 AM
J
Look in your service manual. There are comprehensive exploded views that show how everything goes together.

As far a "pinning" the wheels, why "rube" it when the necessary parts are inexpensive and easy to get?

xxxxxxxxxx

Last edited by GregH; 04-25-07 at 05:37 AM. Reason: Remove company name.
Old 04-27-07, 10:43 PM
I have an Econominder 5600 as well and upon inspection behind one of the wheels a screw broke the plastic peice on the back of it plus the motor has been kinda loud for some time so the service tech I had out recomended replacing the timer unit. They want $179 for the new timer piece which seemed about right and then $95 for the labor. Does that sound about right?

My unit is 13 years old now and I'm hoping that the new timer\motor will last a few years until the resin is toast. I'm hoping the resin lasts another few years but the tech who was out said they didn't have a good way to test the resin except to see how quickly the water starts becoming hard after regenerations. Not sure if that's the only way, you'd think there would be a better way to test for that.

The tech also told me that they didn't like the electronic timers because you have a circuit board so close to water and salt but every new Culligan unit seems to use an electronic timer so who knows. The Aqua-sensor technology sounded cool to me.

Leads me to another question. If I have an Econminder (Fleck 5600), can I replace the timer\motor unit with a Culligan electronic timer and keep the same scuba gear (resin tank)? Just curious.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: