Kinetico Neutralizer problem

Old 04-15-07, 01:57 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Kinetico Neutralizer problem

I have a Kinetico Neutralizer (Upflow) that is about 10 years old that recently stopped working.

I added Calcite with corosex (5:1) about 6 month ago, filled it to about 75% capacity.

Checked it this am, and the level is only down about 3 inches. We have a pH of about 5.5 at baseline, which is pretty much where it is now.

Any ideas? The only thing that I can come up with, since I have good water flow through the thing, is that a bypass tract has formed in the matrix, and water is going directly through this. Can you stir up the bed with a piece of PVC or something?

The other thought is that I got a bad batch of calcite, which I bought online.

Any help/thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Old 04-16-07, 07:18 AM
A
A couple of question first, if you don't mind.

What is the diameter of the tank? 10", 12"?
Where is the tank located in relation to the pressure tank? Before, after?
What is the diameter of the line going into and coming out of the tank? 3/4" 1"?

Thanks,

Andy Christensen, CWS

Old 04-18-07, 05:56 PM
M
13" diameter
after pressure tank
3/4" copper running to the tank

Anion resin tank follows the neutralizer, then a Kinetico conditioner.

Was running well until recently.

Thanks
Kevin

Old 04-18-07, 07:08 PM
A
Ok, great. thanks that helps explain a couple of things.

I assume because you have an anion conditioner, you have a tannin issue as well. Let me know if that is for some other water issue.

Now, as far as the AN. The most probable reason your AN is not working is that the media has 'cemented' or solidified and will need to be dumped and rebedded with new media. What has happened is the flow rate through the tank has been so slow that the bed never lifts and reconstitutes itself.

Kinetico recommends 10" up-flow tanks to go after the pressure tank but 13" before. When you place a tank after the PT you get very low flow rate and channelling develops. this means the media creates pathways up through the media where water takes the path of least resistance. The rest of the media solidifies and never really neutralizes the pH.

Remember, when you brush your teeth, the flow rate is very slow. With a 13" tank that increases the cementing.

Placing the tank before the PT you will get a steady, strong flow every time the water fills the tank. This strong push of water uplifts the media keeping it from channeling/cementing fairly effectively.

Normally you would never place any device between the PT and the well pump. But since this is flow through without a shut off there should never be a pressurization problem.

I would replumb it (enlarging the piping in/out lets) after the PT and rebed it. you want maximum flow rate.

Andy Christensen

Old 04-20-07, 04:08 PM
M
That makes total sense to me. I suspected that it was channelling.

The anion resin is actually for nitrates, which are slightly up in my area.

I can certainly replumb my tank, but going to 1" line would likely mean a new bypass valve and probably a new head on the tank. Kinetico charges over $200 for these.

Also, I am a bit reluctant to call the company who installed the system - they are about 90 miles from here, and the only kinetico service center available - since they are the ones who installed this system incorrectly. 15 months ago (right after I bought the house) they came out to service this same problem, and told me - before I started researching this stuff - that the tank was "bad" and replaced it - in the same position (after the pressure tank) with the new 13" tank. They charge $199 just to walk in the house.

Can I rebed this monster myself? I certainly can replumb, or get a local plumber if it gets too tricky.

If so, any advice?

I wish you were out here in this area (Mass) - it would be nice to have a local water person who knows what they are doing.

Thanks for all the help.

Kevin

Old 04-20-07, 08:46 PM
A
I am glad I was able to help.

WARNING: be extremely careful about putting any shut-off (read: by-pass) before the pressure tank. If you or anyone would ever shut off the water and the house water pressure dropped below pressure-switch kick-in, the pump will come on but water will go nowhere and pressure will get too high and something will blow!!!

Do you follow me?

Normally, no by-pass is put in. Just kill power to the pump and work on the system. If yo think the water would be down, then have an alternative pipe off the side and replumbed temporarily.

A dump and rebed is not easy due to the weight of the unit. You will need help, but it can be done.

I will have to look but I think the in-out on the tank will allow 1" piping. Make sure it UPflow.

Andy Christensen, CWS

Old 04-21-07, 05:58 AM
M
I follow you. Don't want to blow up my pump (or other low pressure pipe).

Looked at the system last night, I can fit a 1" pipe as long as I can obtain the
1" nut for the head. Should be able to find that somewhere.

I will attempt the rebed with the help of a couple friends and some brews. I assume that you just invert and try to bring the stuff out in clumps - then rebed with granite on the bottom and fill with calcite/corosex.

Thanks again for all the help.
Kevin

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: