Culligan Mark 89 hissing

Old 04-23-07, 08:29 AM
B
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Culligan Mark 89 hissing

My Mark 89 Culligan recently started to loudly hiss around the eductor on the valve. I put it on bypass and started to check the eductor, but chickened out when water started spurting out when I loosened the screws.

Could this be a simple O-ring problem or should I call the Culligan man?

Or considering the age of the unit, should I replace entirely? We've used it for about 4 years. Before that it belonged to some friends who had it in their house but in bypass mode for 5 or 6 years before they had it disconnected.

Old 04-23-07, 08:49 AM
J
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There should be lots of life left on the old 89.

You need to bleed the pressure from the softener before loosening anything. Putting it on bypass leaves pressure in the softener. Put the softener back in service (off bypass). Shut off the water to the house. Open a faucet to relieve the pressure. Put the softener back in bypass. Turn the water to the house on. Now theree's no pressure in the softener.

Up until now, has the 89 been doing it's job? If yes, then considering it has not been receiving any routine maintenance I'd call the Culligan Man(woman) and tell them what's going on and invest in a minimum service call. They'll come out and inspect the unit and tell you what it needs. If they can get it running right for a couple hundred you are ahead of the game and have a place to start knowing it's working properly.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: