New whirlpool whole house water filter

Old 04-27-07, 08:31 AM
O
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question New whirlpool whole house water filter

Just trying to get information on this new filter available at Lowes.. Price 377.00 ... Has anyone here tried out this unit or know anything about it..The literature says that it never needs a filter, that it cleans it self automatically. I wonder if it removes rotten egg odor....Appreciate any feed back on this from someone that knows....Thanks http://www.ecodyne.org/WHELJ1.asp

Old 04-27-07, 09:10 AM
J
Hi Oren,

It's hard to comment intelligently when they provide no technical info on the web page. A cute movie and lot's of promo and sales hype but no specs.

Watching the video it appears to be a whole house backwashing filter probably using a carbon and/or combination media to filter chlorine.

I do notice in the video that the filter is installed ALONG SIDE a water softener and that the house is in a residential area so it's probably on a water system (not a well), if the house exists in real life at all .

There are some generalities well founded in experience that are common with Whirlpool, GE, Morton, Sears, and all those similar (or identical) products sold under different brand names...

They are not designed to be easily repaired. The parts are proprietary and you are dependant on that company only for parts and they are pricy. They are built of less than the top quality materials. They so not offer as long a service life as an industry standard design and really don't cost less. Whirlpool, GE, Sears, and the like are the most commonly complained about water treatment products on this and other self help forums.

What is it about your water that makes you think you need a whole house filter? Have you had your water tested? Are your neighbors complaining abouth the quality of their water?

Old 04-27-07, 09:46 AM
J
Oren,

Meant to include in my reply...

How long have you had the wrotten egg odor? On hot water side only or hot and cold? Every faucet or just one? Do the neighbors have the same odor?

Old 04-27-07, 11:35 AM
O
Wink

Thanks for the info justalurker......I have a 130' deep 4'' well...Getting sulfer smell on hot and cold and at all faucets including those outside..The closest neighbor lives about a quarter mile away but he says his well is over 400' deep and has no smell. Wish now that i had let the well man keep drilling, but at the time was trying to save .....Now i either live with it as is or try to filter it to get that smell out... I did have a test done and i was told that i did not have hard water, only that stinking smell... My wife buys bottled water to make coffee, tea and to cook with....Looking for some good info on what it would take to do the job with out spending a fortune...Thanks for your time...Oren

Old 04-27-07, 12:05 PM
J
Oren,

With respect you tried the "with out spending a fortune" on your well and here you are.

Since you need to do something about the oder how about making sure that is the only problem? Get a complete water test from an indpendant lab. There are things than hardness that can cause problems with well water. Bacteria, manganese, TDS, chlorides, sodium, and other things.

Since you are willing to spend some money, make sure you do this once and do it right.

If you're dead set on a quick fix and that Whirlpool appeals to you then take a look here... http://ohiopurewaterco.com/shop/customer/home.php?cat=339
Better quality and longer lasting than the Whirlpool. EZ to get parts (at many places) and service for. Give them a call and ask for CK Moore, he know's his stuff.

I'd get the water test and make sure the odor is the only problem you have. Living on well water requires some education and maintenance that living on a water system doesn't. You are responsible for making your water SAFE and nice.

Ask your wife if she'd rather not be buying bottled water?

Old 04-27-07, 01:15 PM
O
Justalurker.. Is that a carbon filter in that tank or is it in granular form...If it is does it have to be replaced or does the backwashing keep it clean

Old 04-27-07, 02:20 PM
J
Granular, backwashed, untilamately media is replaced in # of years depending on service condiitons.

If you're intent on the eay and quick solution then call them and they'll tell you everything you want to know.

I really recommend you look at the quality (or lack) of your water in total to make sure nothing else is a problem BEFORE you spend your money with anyone.

Old 04-27-07, 03:06 PM
O
Can you use the water test kits like at lowes?

Old 04-27-07, 03:17 PM
J
No. You need to get a water test from a LABORATORY. There can be things in well water that can really mess you up... like bacteria.

http://www.epa.gov/safewater/labs/index.html

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: