Do I need a water filter?

Old 05-04-07, 01:42 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Do I need a water filter?

We use city water (Cleveland water from Lake Erie). My wife has been asking me to install a water filter, since some of our fiends have it.

Where is a good start to figure out A. if I need one, B. faucet mount or under-the-sink type ?

Thanks.

Old 05-04-07, 03:15 PM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
Do you prefer the taste of bottled (filtered, not mineral) water over the taste of your tap water or can you not tell a difference? If you prefer the bottled water then I'd say a filter is in order.

If you decide that you do want a filter you will be much happier with an undersink unit. The faucet mounted filters have a limited flow rate and a limited life. Even an undersink model needs to have the filter changed on a regular basis, usually no more than two months between changing.

One caveat: The charcoal in a water filter can serve as a breeding ground for bacteria. I knew a man whose family always had low-grade colds or such. On the advice of his doctor he removed the water filter and everybody got better. The amazing thing about this story is that my friend was a salesman for an industrial filter (including water) company. I have never had such an experience and I have been using a water filter (with regular cartridge changes) for over twenty years.

Old 05-05-07, 05:51 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Get yourself a garden hose and a white 5 gallon bucket. Connect one end of the garden hose to the drain of your hot water heater, the other to the bucket and open the valve. Fill it until it overflows for a minute, turn it off. Come back in about 30 minutes.

If there is 'stuff' on the bottom of the bucket, that 'stuff' is what you are drinking.

Chances are, every home could use a _whole house_ filter, especially in older areas that still have steel mains. I installed one a while back because everytime we filled the jacuzzi (about 80 gallons), it had this red sediment on the bottom.
Now that sediment (most likely RUST) it caught by the filter (instead of the water heater). I have to replace the filter every month.

It's all coming from the street, as the piping from the street to the filter is all PVC, PEX and CPVC.

Old 05-10-07, 10:40 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Consider this: Since the epa mandate to reduce thm's, most municipal water utilities are switching from plain chlorine to chloramine disinfection. What this means now is that you are not only drinking, bathing in, and aerosolizing chlorine, but chlorine and ammonia. Couple this with the fact that these same water distributors are new at this process, and that there is currently no epa limit on the amount of excess ammonia we can have in our water. And it doesn't end there. You can't filter chloramine with standard carbon, let alone remove ammonia. And this doesn't take into account the other things they're putting into the water like polyphosphates to suspend the iron and coat the pipes. Contact your local water utility and ask them for the report showing everything in your water, along with the water quality report. Then you can figure out what it will take to filter all that stuff out to the point where it's drinkable.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: