Water Softener Clogged?

Old 06-10-07, 08:37 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Water Softener Clogged?

About two weeks ago, I had a well issue with alot of iron "mud" being sucked up. Check valve failed, and as long as I had to pull the pump to get to it, I replaced the pump (29 yrs old) also.

Since then, it took about 10 days for the well to calm down and run clear (was very orange). I now have a sediment filter between the well and my softener (Star, about 10yrs old).

I have regenerated the softener several times over the last few days. When in service, the pressure drops within hours of regeneration. Flip it over to bypass and the pressure is restored. I have cleaned the screen and venturi, but I believe they just affect the brine supply. What else could be clogged and is it fixable?

By the way, the sediment filter, prior to the softener is still clean after several days, so I am sure the problem is now with the softener.

I'd appreciate sugestions.

Old 06-12-07, 08:04 PM
M
Practically anything's fixable, just depends on how far you want to tear into it and how mechanically inclinded you are. Googling star water softener yields a company website complete with detailed drawings and parts lists if this sounds like your bag. Judging from what you've said, it does sound like a straight forward flow problem. But look at those drawings on that web site and you'll see it could be clogged in a variety of places. I'm no expert, but the simplest, and cheapest at this point, would be to try several more regens, or even just fast rinse cycles, to clear whatever sludge you have built up in the resin. And while your doing one, try and observe the drain water and see if it's cloudy/murky/muddy. That'll let you know if you're doing any good, and even if that's the problem.

Old 06-27-07, 08:36 PM
G
Water softener flow-pressure drop

It most certainly sounds like a contaminated bed. When fine sediment is allowed into a softener, it will fill the interstitial spaces between the resin media. This can be highly problematic, since it can reduce both pressure & flow through the system.

Star generally uses fleck/pentair control valves, so you might try removing your DLFC and running the system through an extended backwash (at least 10 minutes) and see if you notice any improvement. If you do not notice a significant improvement, then replacing the resin media is probably your most effective solution.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: