Water Softener Recomendation?

Old 06-21-07, 02:03 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Water Softener Recomendation?

Hi, please recommend a softener for the following:

Number of people: 4 but will increase in the future.
Hardness: 15
PH : 7
PSI: 68
No Iron

on city municipal water.

I was quoted by:

1. Intermountain Soft Water
$1195 for an Imperial 3500 (I think they use Erie)

2. An independent owner
$1595 for 40000 (I think they use a clack)

3. Kinetico
$2400 for the Mach 2020 or $3000 for the Mach 4040

How does these compare with the system from OhioPureWaterCompany
1. $862 for a Fleck 2510SE, Ionac c249 resin, MediaGuard KDF 55
2. $729 for the same thing except it will be a Fleck 5600SE instead.

Also, how hard is it to install a Softener if I have someone who is very handy and knows about plumbing etc.

thanks for your help.

Old 06-21-07, 04:37 PM
A
Of course you would need to compare more than just installation cost/price. There is warranty, long-term service costs, consistent/constant service, chlorine removal ability and reputation of the company doing business. Some softeners use three times as much salt and twice as much water in a given month, so operation costs may significantly increase "cost".

I have no idea what the 40000 means unless that is how many grains it remove for each regeneration. That would be approximately 6 lbs. of rock per regen. For you application that would be a system larger than your needs for 4 people.

I would advise against getting any softener with KDF-55 mixed with the bed of resin. It is designed for converting chlorine inot a harmless substance but its life is limited, it is very expensive to replace and will not back wash properly unless water flow rate is so great that it will lift the KDF off the bottom of the tank.

In doing so tyhe light resin will piston to the top and be worthless in a short time due to its inabilty to regenerate properly. Most likely the flow rate is designed for the resins so the KDF will solidify at the bed of the tank.

KDF is an excelent product but special consideration must be taken to make it work effectively. It is the heaviest media out there...160 per cu ft. You softener will probably have 10-14 lbs of KDF. Imagine ginding 14 lb of pennies into a fine granular media, putting into an 8 inch diameter tank and shoving a garden hose into it and turn the water on full blast.

Good luck trying to get little more that a small geyser of mineral lifting while the rest of it just sits there. Not advisable. Service calls will fallow and it is expensive to replace. Sometimes it solifies into a lava-lake substance and can't even be chipped away with a metal pick.

I have visited KDF HQ in Mich. spoke with John Heskett, CEO., and appreciate very much theie amazing media, but not in a softener bed.

Carbon is a much better means or chlorine treatment at the K 4040 offers. The Kinetico also offers more for its installation price including a prefilter, ten years' warranty, more salt effeciency, less water use, counter-current regeneration (which reduces salt and water use and prolongs resin life), regeneration water is already treated--which reduces hardness leakage and conserves salt, demand operated with immediate regeneration so you can have endless soft, chlorine free water.

There are no electrical components so any future service calls due to electrical failures are gone, power failures/surges will not hinder its operation and guest or vacation settings are never needed if the number of people or gallons used changes for some reason.

Yes, the Kinetico is the most expensive initially but costs over the long run will be reduced especially if you are looking 20-25 years down the road. It would be my choice.

Andy Christensen, CWS

Old 06-22-07, 08:43 AM
M
Andy & JustALurker,

Thank you for the information and advice you have given! Yes I really like the Kinetico and that would have been my first choice but giving the current financial situation (a first time home buyer and starting a family) our budget is pretty tight right now so we are opting for the second best. Who doesn't want to drive a BMW if you can, but I'm hoping just to get a reliable Honda so if I can get something good enough for now (without a lot of head-ache) and upgrade to a Kenitico later what would your recommendation be. Or am I just setting myself up for a lot of problems?

I was leaning toward the DYI from OhioPureWater because we have a contractor that is finishing our basement said that he can help install the water softener system. I don't know a lot about plumbing as I'm the computer programmer type, but I am very detail oriented and giving the right directions - (and I've been reading on the installation guide) and with the help of the contractor I think we can pulled it off.

Thanks again guys for your help!

(oh, and just a side note, I've been reading on some of the threads from here and other forums betwen you two, H2O, and Gary S. and it have really cracked me up. Gary seems like he know a lot about Water Softener, but I have to agreed that he does not need to bad mouth others and it just seems like he can't stay away from slamming you three whenever he get a chance (he is a real character!))

Old 06-22-07, 01:16 PM
G
Softener source

If you are going to get the softener installed by plumber/handyman or yourself, check out the site of xxxxxxxxxxxxxx.com. They have one of the best prices I have seen for industry standard units using Fleck or Autorol based controls.

Last edited by GregH; 06-22-07 at 04:06 PM. Reason: Remove link
Old 06-27-07, 09:37 AM
M
Greg,

Thank you for the reply. Well no one really tested the PH level but from the different company that came, and I asked them out it, that was about the figured that I got. If it not so, then what is the PH in Wasatch area?

1. The rep that came recommended the Imperial 35000, I guess that sounds right for 4 people but will that be sufficient if our family was to increase in the future? When I looked at the chart that was in the brochure on Intermountain website for the Imperial, it was 35000 for 11-21 gpg of hardness for 4 people, but then we have 3 bathrooms and the chart recommended the 50000?

2. I think the Imperial uses the Erie valve, how does this compare to the so call Fleck or Clack that so many have mentioned about?

3. About warantee, I believe that it's only 1 year parts & labor is that correct?

Again thanks for your reply.

Old 06-27-07, 10:55 AM
A
MaNho,

Most of us never-mind those who resort to slamming and slander, but thanks for your comments.

I metioned before about twin-tank systems and your 'future' dilemma of increasing or decreasing daily water use is completely solved by this approach. There are more than one maker of twin tank systems and they are available at numerous locations for a wide variety of prices.

In many cases, I would take a rebuilt twin over a new single tank system.

There are so many options out there, I just hope you choose the best for your needs.

Take care,
Andy

Old 06-27-07, 05:00 PM
Super Moderator
Received 47 Votes on 45 Posts
Exclamation Moderator note:

These forums do not permit advertising and promotion within the forum topics.

This forum topic in particular is one that seems to attract members who under the guise of helping people throw their name out there for self promotion.

We try to keep the advice offered here as independant as possible so as not to have salespeople color the information offered.
Many provide good information but we do not offer advertising in exchange for helping folks.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: