Kinetico Question

Old 07-18-07, 09:18 PM
I
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Kinetico Question

I have a Kinetico 50 water softener and it stopped regenerating a few weeks ago. I looked through the posts on the forum and found that I could regenerate manually, and I have done that. It seems to be going through the cycle fine. I cleaned out the brine tank and have a question - where do I set the float level in the tank?

I am going to watch to see if the top disk is turning after water usage. I think that it is. Is there a failure mode where the top disk turns, but doesn't trigger a regeneration?

Thanks.

I did not get a manual with the unit when I bought the house, so I really appreciate the information already here in the forums!

Old 07-19-07, 11:17 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What are you water conditions? Hardness, etc. Are you on city water.

Was the float position changed when you took it apart? Are they any marks, indentations or notches on the rof where the float rests? Is the float made of a plastic-type cup?

Occasionally a small part is needed to repair ther valve if it doesn't regen by itself. Monitor it and get back with us.

Andy

Old 07-19-07, 02:29 PM
Question Brine Drum Diamater

What diameter is your brine drum?

Old 07-21-07, 11:23 AM
I
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I am on city water. So, I don't think the incoming water is too hard. I have an in-line filter upstream from the softener. Flow rate seems to be fine.

When running the washer, I can hear the flow meter in the softener spinning and I can see the top ring (says '4' on it) spin slowly - I saw it move to the next tooth position.

The brine tank is not a circle. It's mostly rectangular and is about 11 in. x 14 in. and is 18 in. high.

The float position was changed when I took it apart and cleaned it. I wasn't sure how to take it apart at the time, so I pulled the tube up and the cup was moved.

What I have referred to as a float seems to be made up of about 4 pieces.

1. The inlet tube - this is still in the same place since it goes in a slot on the side of the brine tank.

2. At the bottom of the inlet tube is a valve (?). It is a white and one side attaches to the inlet tube. The other side curves back up and has a yellow plastic shaft coming out of it.

3. I am not sure what the third part is. It can move along the yellow shaft, if I pull it. It doesn't just slide easily so I don't think that it goes up and down with water level, but I could be wrong about that. There seems to be too much friction for it to move easily with water level.

4. The last part is a white, upside down cup that can also be moved up and down the shaft. Again, I don't know exactly what the purpose of this is, but I am sure that it is not in the same place as it was before I took this assembly out of the brine tank.

The brine tank has a platform in it for the salt. When it is done regenerating, at the moment, it refills to just above the level of the platform.

I have taken a picture, but can't post it in this message. It is at the following link:

http://************/view.php?pic=6g3n7gm

Do I need to set the cup or the 'float(?)' to a specific spot on the shaft?

Now that I have manually regened a few times, it seems to be supplying soft water again.

TIA

Old 07-25-07, 07:32 PM
Question Brine tank setting TBD

I don't have info on that brine tank handy so I'll have to do a little research and get back.

The brine valve assembly you described has two basic settings;

1. The inlet tube which is just above the valve (bottom) and has what may look like graduated wings (plastic). If you look close, each graduation will have a letter code next to it.

2. The float cup (upside down cup) you described, sets the maximum tank fill limit.

So... first, be sure the brine tank is clean under the salt grid (plastic screen). salt bridging under the grid will negatively offset the brine dose. I emtpy my tank every year or two and rinse.

second, you need to know the hardness on the input side.

third, based on that hardness, Kinetico has a lookup table for your specific softner and brine tank that will specify the following things;

1. meter disc number (1 ~ 8)
2. brine tube cut level (that nearly invisible letter code i mentioned earlier)
3. float cup level in inches (referneced from the bottom of the brine valve to the top of the float cup.

Obviously, without the source water hardness figure, one can't say what settings are currently appropriate, however, if you can quote where the brine tube is cut to "letter", we can figure out what float valve and appropriate disc number range should be.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: