Cleaning a Iron/Sulfur filter

Old 07-18-07, 09:25 PM
P
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cleaning a Iron/Sulfur filter

I have a Kinetico PF60 Iron/Sulfur filter. Do I have clean the filter? If so with what? I was told to run bleach in it once a month. Thank's forn any help.

Old 07-19-07, 11:22 AM
A
A little more information, please. Does the filter need any type of regenerate like potassium permanganate? Or is it just a stand-alone filter system?

Are you having any problems with it? What are you water test results before the system? Is it followed by a softener and what other devices are included in your treatment?

Andy Christensen, CWS

Old 07-19-07, 07:09 PM
G
Kinetico PF60 for Iron removal

The last PF60 for Iron that I saw was loaded with Birm and gravel.

Basic Birm specs can be found here:- http://www.clackcorp.com/water/pdf/birm.pdf

Birm is a bad choice for H2S, since it can foul it. - Does your water have a rotten-egg odor ?

Old 07-19-07, 08:15 PM
P
It is a stand alone filter. Toilets are start to get a light red stain .No softener
Water out of well .Water hard, strong sulfur smell and will stain with iron stain.

Old 07-19-07, 08:45 PM
P
After more looking it is a Para-flo 60 filter.

Old 07-20-07, 02:03 PM
G
Iron filter

Without a regenerant, I would suspect that it is most likely Birm.

Go with Andy's suggestion and test influent -vs- effluent water quality to see if it is doing anything at all to improve the water.

Once you know a little more about the water chemistry, then you can look at options to rebed or replace the system.

Old 07-21-07, 08:44 AM
A
Kinetico makes a couple of ParaFlo models. Both tanks are filled with a single media and work together, except during backwash.

Carbon- used mostly for city water, organics or very mild sulfur.
Macrolite- A ceramic granual media filtering down to 3-5 microns good for oxidized iron.
Greensand- Uses a potassium perm. as a regenerate. Used for mild sulfur and iron.
Birm- Not a standard option for Kinetico but some have tried it as well as Filter Ag. Many people with birm systems are dissappointed with long term results and frequent maintenance costs. Mixed results with iron and sulfur.
Sulfaban- Exclusive media from Kinetico that uses hydrogen peroxide as the regenerate. Very effective for sulfur up to 5ppm, does nothing for iron.

Letus know after you have had your water tested.

Andy Christensen

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: