Installation of RO (Replacing GE unit w/ Whirlpool)...

Old 08-10-07, 05:21 PM
A
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Installation of RO (Replacing GE unit w/ Whirlpool)...

My GE Reverse Osmosis unit died and I went to consumer reports and bought the WHER25 from Lowes which is the best rated unit.

I am totally inept at plumbing and have 2 questions after reading the instructions.

The instructions talk about putting a saddle valve on the cold water pipe. Can I use the existing saddle valve from the GE unit RO or should I leave that one alone and add another saddle valve for the new unit in a different spot on the pipe? I don't want to break the integrity of the PVC pipe...

Also, the instructions discuss adding a drain tubing connector to the sink drain pipe. Should I use the existing connection or replace it with the new connection?

Given my lack of understanding/confidence on this project, am I better off hiring a plumber or doing it myself?

Thanks in advance...

Old 08-10-07, 08:48 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Saddle valves in ANY installation are the WORST choice that can be made and are NOT CODE APPROVED in many areas.

Don't use the suplied saddle valve. ELIMINATE or REMOVE the saddle valve you already have and use a proper "T" to supply cold water to your RO.

If you're REALLY smart you'll add a 1/4 turn, 1/4" valve on the 1/4" PE tubing to the RO so you have an easy shut-off for the RO because that Whirlpool will need service.

If you can't do it then get a plumber.. a little leak at line pressure is a BIG mess and will cost a lot more than a plumber

Old 08-11-07, 05:50 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Plumbing

I have to agree with the lurker here.

A saddle clamp valve is a ticking time-bomb. Although they are usually packaged with most r/o systems, they are just a leak waiting to happen.

A saddle clamp on PVC is bad practice, you should have that damaged piece cut out and replaced with a tee and inline shutoff valve.

Undersink r/o's should be installed very carefully, paying particular attention to ensure that you protect from cross-contamination and from leaks.

I've had great results with the "Leakcontroller" series of leak protection devices. When combined with a drip-tray, you can minimize the chances of damage to flooring & cabinetry if the r/o ever leaks.

If you're not entirely comfortable, I would highly recommend you use your your local plumber or licensed specialty contractor, since that affects your health.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: