Fleck 5600se vs Logix 760 - outdoor install

Old 08-15-07, 01:27 PM
K
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fleck 5600se vs Logix 760 - outdoor install

My head is starting to hurt from reading through all the posts, but I've learned a ton. I had a few local companies come out and quote equipment and then I decided to do a bit of research. In Southern California these water guys are running a racket. I was quoted $1600 for a 48000 clack, $2550 for a 48000 logix 760, and $3550 for a 48000 logix 760 with kdf 55 - which is only $150 more at the most.

So, I've decided to tackle this myself. I was thinking of going with the logix 48000 or 64000 760 with KDF 55. We are on city water with a hardness of 26. There are currenlty 2 of us in the house with a third newborn on the way any day (motivation to fix the water problem) and hopefully more down the road. I just tested my pressure with the 5 gallon bucket method and I'm getting about 12gpm with a 3/4 service.

This will be installed outside, which seems like plus for the logix equipment being rated for rain. I'll have to cover it either way, but we do see a good deal of coastal fog.

The other option I started to look into was a seperate carbon tank for the city cholorine to a softener but I do not want to buy 2 controllers and with 2 programs ex. Keep it somewhat simple, hence the kdf 55. A RO unit under the sink may be in order down the line, but from what I've been told, softening with chlorine filter is all that is needed for the city water. I did not do a test, but the 2 companies used the city water testing info for the system suggestions.

From reading through it seems like there are a ton of fleck fans. I bought the flap design sales pitch vs. the piston deal. Maybe he was an effective sales guy, but it seemed like a better/less hassel way to go.

Any suggestions or insight would be much appriciated.

Old 08-16-07, 09:19 PM
G
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Southern California Water Softeners

The Logix is Autotrol's best product so far. It's a significant improvement over previous models.

I still think it can't hold a candle to the Fleck 7000 on simplicity, reliability and ease of service though. Fleck isn't the only valve type that I specify, and I do occasionally specify autotrol so I think I can be relatively unbiased about my comments. I wouldn't use the 5600 series, it's just so outdated and won't support the backwash rates you'll need for a big bed of KDF.

The autotrol flapper design doesn't hold up in the area where I live (hardness can vary from 18 - 45 gpg). Our local service department is constantly repairing autotrol system from other OEM's at a rate of about 4:1 compared to Fleck.

Softeners that are LEGALLY INSTALLED in California will be more expensive than models in other states, since CA requires expensive certifications before a product can be sold/installed there. If you're in LA county, expect an additional bump in pricing for the dealer to offset his additional compliance expenses.

I know a couple of really good dealers down there that my company is not financially affiliated with that I can steer you to if you'd like, just PM me.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: