softener drain line...how long is acceptable?

Old 08-22-07, 02:00 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
softener drain line...how long is acceptable?

Hi,

I'm looking to get a water softener. I'd like to save money and buy a Fleck system on-line and self install. The servive comes into the garage, so I have electricity and there is a nice corner for it right by the main. I know I have to plumb non-softened water to the outside facuets and one in the kitchen for drinking. All this is do-able.

My question is how far can I run the drain line? It would be about 30' to the laundary room where there is a stack for the washer. Would that be acceptable? Any issues dumping the softener and the washer in the same p trap? What ID drain line is typical? What about a vacuum break on the drain? Is backflow a issue? Our old house did not have one and that was a professional install...

Thanks,

S.

Old 08-22-07, 08:31 PM
G
Water Softener Drainage

Softeners need a properly sized drain discharge to function properly.

If your influent water pressure is at least 60psi, then that 30' run on a Fleck 5600 series shouldn't be a problem as long as you aren't climbing more than a few feet vertically.

I always spec PEX drains when running extended distances and where wall penetrations are required, since PEX is more durable and is rated for use behind sheetrock.

1/2" ID is the smallest that I would spec. for your drain - try for 3/4 to ensure minimal line friction issues.

You could install a vb at the softener but try to always have a physical air separation of 2 x pipe diameter where the softener drain enters the domestic drain to be strictly code compliant.

Softener and washer together shouldn't be a big deal. Run both at the same to do a controlled test and make sure that the drain can handle the increased demand.

There are some nice stand-pipe caps out there that work quite well and some washer drain boxes have aux. inputs for softeners etc...

Old 08-23-07, 11:52 AM
A
At 30' there should not be a major problem as Greg mentioned. I like to increase diameter every 15'-20'. Make a 1/2" line into a 5/8" into a 3/4" and so on. If you have to travel a long distance raise the line and then angle it down toward the drain if possible still increasing the diameter.

Line friction can cause a back pressure and the softener won't thoroughly cleanse itself. The result will be hardness leakage and/or salty taste in the water.

Andy Christensen, CWS

Old 08-23-07, 01:47 PM
Thanks for the advise guys. I'm going to go with 3/4" pex and slant it towards the trap.

S.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: