Need water softener help

Old 08-25-07, 02:21 PM
I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need water softener help

Hi. Please forgive my ignorance on water softeners but this is our first time owning one and it came with our house when we bought it. We tried twice to get the local company to send us a user's manual but they never sent one. It's an Ecosoft Solid State water softener, maybe around 10 years old, presuming it was purchased when the house was new.

So, anyway, here's how it is -- we forgot about our water softener. To be honest, I've never known if it worked right to start off with because, obviously, we don't notice a huge difference in our water one way or the other. So, we forgot to check it for quite some time and, when we looked at it today found there was no salt in the tank and 15 inches of standing water. What do we do? Just add salt and recharge it manually? Is there something wrong? Does it need to be drained? If so, how do we do that? Should we just call a repair person and be done with it?

I know we've been negligent in our care of the softener but I would really appreciate some help with it.

Thanks so much, Jen in ND

Old 08-25-07, 07:12 PM
C
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by imwildrose View Post
Hi. Please forgive my ignorance on water softeners but this is our first time owning one and it came with our house when we bought it. We tried twice to get the local company to send us a user's manual but they never sent one. It's an Ecosoft Solid State water softener, maybe around 10 years old, presuming it was purchased when the house was new.

So, anyway, here's how it is -- we forgot about our water softener. To be honest, I've never known if it worked right to start off with because, obviously, we don't notice a huge difference in our water one way or the other. So, we forgot to check it for quite some time and, when we looked at it today found there was no salt in the tank and 15 inches of standing water. What do we do? Just add salt and recharge it manually? Is there something wrong? Does it need to be drained? If so, how do we do that? Should we just call a repair person and be done with it?

I know we've been negligent in our care of the softener but I would really appreciate some help with it.

Thanks so much, Jen in ND
hello jen, this is dan in oh, just add some salt and let it go. as long as the unit is plugged in, it should automatically recharge on it's own. Do not drain the water from the brine tank, about fifteen inches of water is about what it should have in it. you can recharge the unit yourself if you want soft water now. but seeing that it's been out of salt for some time it will take a while before it cleans itself out properly, depending on how often it is set to regenerate. try putting salt in it and let it run a while before calling a service man out. it may save you a lot of money. you know the old saying, if it isn't broke don't fix it. Hope that your system works good for you. If you ever have any questions, just post them, and i'll be happy to awnser them for you if i can.

Old 08-25-07, 07:24 PM
J
softener...

Hi Jen,

Add two gallons of warm tap water to the round tube (brine well) where the float is. Add salt until the water in the brine tank is covered. Wait at least two hours and do a manual regeneration.

When that regeneration is finished add two gallons of warm tap water to the round tube (brine well) where the float is. Add salt to cover the water, wait two hours, use as little water in the house as possible during this time, and do another manual regeneration.

That should get the resin regenerated after sitting so long.

Provided the softener was functioning properly you should have soft water. You can get a hardness test kit at an aquarium store and be sure.

Old 08-25-07, 07:38 PM
C
Thumbs up cwater1232006

Hi Jen,
If there is already fifteen inches or so of water in the brine tank, don't add any more. that is enough water to allow brine to be made. if you ever do need to add water to the brine tank, it is not necessary to add it to the tube inside of the salt tank. that holds the float which controls how much water that is allowed to enter the tank. Make sure the unit is plugged in and that if a timered unit, that the correct time of day is set.if it is a metered unit, then don't worry about it. Just add salt, I recommend not filling more than 2/3 of the way up. that's just to ensure that salt bridging does not occur. you can manually regenerate the system as soon as salt is added, there is no need to wait. I have been repairing softeners everyday for the last fifteen years and have never once been told to wait two hours after adding salt to regenerate the system. since it has sat for so long, it may take several regenerations before the resin bed is completely cleaned, due to resin bed being fouled. so recharge it manually, then allow it to run thru it's normal cycle. And to ensure quicker softeness, regenerate it again manually tommorrow night, and the system should ok, of course as another has previously posted, as long as the unit functioned properly before this mishap. well, goodluck with your system, and i hope that it works out for you.
Dan

Old 08-25-07, 08:16 PM
J
cwater1232006,

With respect, I disagree and here are the reasons...

By adding warm water to the brine well salt bridging that may have occured will be dissolved or at least improved at the brine pickup.

By adding two gallons of water the salt dose will be increased and more thoroughly regenerate the resin since it has been without salt for a period of time. The softener may be set up for less than the most efficent salt dose and adding water will overcome that. After two regenerations in succession, with as little water usage as possible in between, the resin should be completely regenerated.

Waiting two hours is necesssary for the water to dissolve the salt sufficently to achieve the correct saturation in the brine. Room temerature water will not dissolve salt immediately to achieve maximum saturation of the brine. If you add salt and regenerate immediately you'll barely have any salt in the brine, in fact calling that water brine would be wishfull thinking.

Actually, two hours in not sufficent for complete saturation, simple chemistry and physics, look it up, ask any chemist, or contact North American Salt (largest supplier of NaCl and KCl for softeners in the western hemisphere) and ask them...

http://softeningsalt.com/

I forgot to mention to check if the softener is in bypass. If it is then it must be in service mode.

Old 08-27-07, 09:48 PM
I
Thank you

Thanks so much for your thoughts and, especially, for not making me feel like an idiot who has no idea how to maintain an appliance! lol I'm actually pretty mechanically inclined and have been reading up on softeners a bit. I just never bothered to do it before.

I will buy salt tomorrow and try to get it working at least. I've also found and checked out the Kenmore website on troubleshooting the operation of your water softener. If it doesn't seem to start working after adding salt and doing a regeneration I'll try what they suggest on there. If I have any other questions I'll definitely check in.

Thank you very much, Jen

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: