Adding whole house filter to existing system

Old 09-26-07, 03:26 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Adding whole house filter to existing system

I moved to a home in the country about 2 yrs.ago. The home has a well and this is the first time I've dealt with a well before. Toward the end of Summer, for the past 2 yrs., if I were to fill my bathtub, at first the water would appear clear but within minutes, it will turn a dark reddish-orange-brown color. Not to mention the staining of every sink & toilet in the house. Upon inspection of my well water system I found that there is no filtration unit incorporated into the well water system. The current configuration of my well water system consists of a Well-X-Trol 80gal standing pressurized tank and an Econominder 5600 water softner. I can't help but to think there sould be a whole house sediment filtration system of some kind between these two items. So my questions are do I need a whole house sediment filtration system and if so, is it something I can install myself?
Thanks for the help,
Marcus B

Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-07, 07:49 PM
G
1st step

The 1st step is to test the water.

Have you had any tests performed yet ? If so please provide the data here.

Old 09-27-07, 09:28 AM
A
Without more info, it is impossible to accurately determine your problem and suggect a solution.

It sounds like either your softener is inadequate or it is by-passed. What you are seeing is ferrous iron converting to ferric iron after being oxidized (mixing with air) becoming insoluable. If it is clear iron (ferrous) then a simple prefilter will be of little use.

Get raw water sample tests and include at least (total) iron, hardness, TDS. If you can determine if there is ferric iron coming from the well, do that as well.

Andy Christensen, CWS-II