Autotrol Water Softener flow sensor

Old 10-24-07, 11:04 AM
R
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Autotrol Water Softener flow sensor

I am looking for a flow sensor probe for the Autotrol 460 timer. It is a Hall Effect sensor. I've check a couple sites that have Autotrol parts, but the sensor only comes attached to the timer. My timer works fine, but the sensor does not. I have checked the turbine wheel and it is OK, too. Does anyone have a source for the sensor probe?

Thanks.

Old 10-25-07, 12:42 PM
T
Sensor

Are you sure the turbine is OK? They changed the design a few years ago where the magnet is no longer exposed to the water and is covered with plastic. You have to physically remove the turbine wheel and clean the magnet area or replace the turbine wheel of metallic debri. Better just to change it. The wheels that had the magnet exposed were prone to the magnet disinegrating or just plain losing there magnetism. When it is removed, put a screwdriver next to the magnet and see if it holds it in the air by its self. If not , buy a new one and make sure it is installed in the small axis hole when you re- install it. If it is in fact the sensor probe, ( have never seen that in 20 years) An Autotrol dealer should have a non working timer around he could take the probe off and sell you. Good Luck TJ Hornet

Old 10-25-07, 01:05 PM
R
Thanks for the response, TJ. I have actually replaced the turbine wheel with the new design and had checked it prior to this problem. Also, I tested the sensor by swiping a magnet by it to see if the flow light flashed. It did not. I then bought a Hall Effect sensor from Digikey (or Mouser) and was able to get the flow light to flash by swiping the magnet. Unfortunately, it was not the right "sensitivity" to work with the turbine. I'll check with some local dealers as you suggested. That's probably my best bet.

Thanks again.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: