UV Light Air Filter

Old 11-23-07, 07:02 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question UV Light Air Filter

Does anyone out there have anything positive/negative to say on the do it yourself UV lights that you place into you ductwork to kill germs/mold? I have a brand new Carrier system with the whole house filter system but the wife’s allergies are still bad. In a nutshell do they work?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-23-07, 09:45 PM
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
Absolutely don't waste your money! The problem is the air is moving to fast for the mold bacteria to be killed. Their is not enough contact time. Now if you have enough space in your duct and you can place 3 or 4 lights two feet apart sure that will work. but the money you spend and the bulb replacement will not be worth it. A maintenance agreement will be a better way to spend your money and your HVAC guys will be able to see problems before they get to bad.

Old 11-24-07, 10:36 AM
A
Whether or not these units actually have enough contact time (how many milliseconds is needed to destroy the RNA/DNA, I am not sure), but no one here should give you advice on how to handle health problem sexcept your personal health professional.

The clarity of the air is more a factor than contact time. If the air contains particles that create "shadows" then the UV light will have less an effect.

Alergies are a complex health matter and what cures/treats one may not be effective for others.

Andy Christensen, CWS-II

Old 11-24-07, 04:30 PM
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
We don't know here health problems! We do know she has allergies! The question that was asked is or opinion on UV lights. By the way contact time is everything in the UV world.

Old 11-27-07, 07:57 AM
A
I was under the impression that allergies, all allergies, WERE a health problem, a physical (as opposed to mental, emotional, psychological or metaphysical) health problem. In some cases they can be a very serious, disabling health problem resulting in high medical bills and change-in-life experiences. Correct me if I am mistaken, thank you.

UV lights in duct work are in two categories: those that 'zap' RNA/DNA via irradiation and emit light waves in the 250 nanometer range. Also, lights that create ozone, another powerful disinfectant, that produce light in the 180 nanometer range. Both can be very effective given the right parameters and maintenance.

In some cases a dual light unit is set up producing both effects.

Andy Christensen, CWS-II

Old 12-16-07, 11:47 PM
H
Originally Posted by HomeMD View Post
Does anyone out there have anything positive/negative to say on the do it yourself UV lights that you place into you ductwork to kill germs/mold? I have a brand new Carrier system with the whole house filter system but the wife’s allergies are still bad. In a nutshell do they work?
You say you have a brand new Carrier furnace with an Electronic Air Cleaner installed in the return? How old is your house? Are you sure mold or mildew is the problem?

UV kills airborne bacteria and surface mold. The double lamp UV systems are the most efficient. UV is a compliment to Electronic Air Cleaners and can only help lower the allergens in your home. http://www.cleanairsystemsinc.net/product-175.html

Also, most people don't realize that electronic air cleaners only work when the furnace is moving air. If you are not heating or cooling often, you need to set the fan switch to run continuously so it can recirculate and clean all the air in your house.