sulfur smell after Rust Out treatment?

Old 12-20-07, 05:24 PM
M
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sulfur smell after Rust Out treatment?

I just got my water softner and calcite filter back online after being down for almost six months. I bought some Super Iron Out and added 18 ounces to a gallon of warm water and dumped it into the salt cabinet when the salt level was low, as per the advice of the guy I bought it from at the pump and supply store. (After discussing it with him and a water test, he said it would probably be a good idea to clean out any iron deposits from the resin bed. Unfortunately I did not have the softner on bypass while it was down...)

I've regenned three times already and run the cold water for 30 minutes, but am still getting a sulfur smell from the water out of the faucet.

Is this normal? When will it go away and how long will it take? Should I keep regenning the softener, or just keep letting the water run?
Thanks...

Old 12-21-07, 08:23 AM
A
Can you bypss each unit separately. In other words, to have these choices? Is the odor coming from cold and hot water or from hot water taps only?

1. Source water running to the taps
2. Source water running through the calcite but not the softener
3. Source water running through the softener but not the calcite filter

If you can, then try to see if one tank is producing the odor and not both or if it is coming from the well directly. A little experimenting might prove worthwhile.

The odor may be coming from a sulfur bacteria and your system will need to be sanitized along with the plumbing. It is not hard but a little involved.

Let's know.
Andy Christensen, CWS-II

Old 12-21-07, 02:21 PM
M
Thanks for the reply! I was actually thinking it was most likely from the Iron Out, since it contains sodium hydrosulfite and sodium bisulfite. I noticed in the fine print on the bottle after posting it says: "If odor is detected in tap water, manually regenerate softener, then run cold water until odor is gone." Well duh on me, I guess...

I didn't want to run the hot water except to take a quick shower in the morning, hoping the smell would be gone before the tank emptied!

I guess I actually have a weird resolution to this issue though. When I came home from work, the hot water was running in my kitchen sink, for how long I don't know. One of my cats must have jumped up and turned it on accidently, but now the smell seems to be gone! Maybe I just used too high a concentration of the Iron Out, or it flushed out all the bacteria into the pipes or something... Alls well that ends well! Happy holidays and thanks for the help.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: