Kenmore UltraSoft 400 Water Softener problem

Old 12-28-07, 12:17 PM
F
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kenmore UltraSoft 400 Water Softener problem

We have a Kenmore UltraSoft 400 Water Softener that we recently bought used. My husband installed it and everything seemed fine. A couple of weeks later, our water started smelling bad. Sometimes it has an overwhelming rust smell and sometimes it smells like sulfur. This is typical of Florida well water but softeners usually get rid of most of it. The walls in the shower and the commodes have started turning orange and I can see a difference in our white laundry.

The salt level in the tank is still good and there is still water in the salt tank. It recharges like it works just fine. But when I look at the control panel, the Average Daily Gallons is 0 (zero) and the Flow Rate is 0 even with all the faucets in the house turned on full blast and the well pump running. Although (as far as we can tell) it is installed properly, it seems like our water isn't running through it. I know it isn't on Bypass, I've checked it and even tried it on Bypass with no different results.

Any suggestions on what I can do before calling in a pro? Thanks in advance.

Old 12-28-07, 02:32 PM
A
Originally Posted by flagreenjeans View Post
The walls in the shower and the commodes have started turning orange and I can see a difference in our white laundry.
Is there a reason the previous owner got rid of it? Hate to ask how much you paid for it since those new cost around $400.00.

I would not recommend sending good money after bad. Get a water quality test and make sure to get only quality equipment. The initial cost will be much more but the result will be best in the long run.

Consider your water treatment equipment an investment.

It sounds like the bed had an iron build up and it is starting to break loose. The water may even be coming out worse that the water going in. With the system not registering water usage, the computer or gearing may be shot.

Again, I can hardly recommend spending money to bring it back to its mediocre level of quality.

Andy Christensen, CWS-II

Old 12-28-07, 03:05 PM
F
Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
Is there a reason the previous owner got rid of it? Hate to ask how much you paid for it since those new cost around $400.00.
Thank you for your response. The prior owner sold it because he switched over to city water. They are slowly running city water out where we live but we are still several years away from getting it. We only paid $50 for the softener but we know it was a fully functioning unit... we know this guy very well.

I understand what you are saying about not sending good money after bad. I just thought maybe there was something we could try to make this unit work for now. Thanks again.

Old 12-31-07, 09:56 AM
G
There is Sticky above these posts on this forum. Use the sites listed in it to trouble shoot your unit. These interactive sites are very good in diagnosing most of the problems with Sears type softeners.

Since your computer is not showing water usage, check the turbine wheel in the input side to make sure it is moving with water. Also check for any loose connecting wires from it to the circuit board.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: