Kinetico Replacement parts - buyer beware

Old 01-08-08, 08:52 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Kinetico Replacement parts - buyer beware

I hae a quad Kinetico with the separate 18" salt/ pottasium tank. at the bottom of the tank is a strainer grid assembly. The assembly has tabs that bend up to form the seal. Well these tabs are breaking off (about half are already gone) so there is no barrier between the salt and water. The system was functioning fine but I wanted to replace the bottom grid plate assembly. The user manual is completely lame and does not have the listing or diagram of the parts. Calling Kinetico is completely useless: they will not even give me the part number after repeated requests. They claimed that the parts list is something they sell so they can't give me the part number and I will need to get it from the local dealer. Calling the local dealer was also useless: They wanted me to call in for a service call at $100 per hour, so that someone can tell me what I already know. Of course that will require a secon service call when he returns with the part to install it. This Grid will take me about 2 minutes or less to install, but I will need to waste a minimum of 2 half days waiting for the technician. And of course it will cost me a minimum of $200 for the two service calls plus the parts. I would prefer to buy the part on line and take the two minutes to install it myself.

Sof if you are thinking of buying a Kinetico and also looking at alternatives: Sears, Culligan, GE etc etc be sure to check how their service works. I know that with everything i ever bought from Sears, the manual usually has the parts breakdown in the manual and you can order it direct. With Kinetico, they will have you held as hostage. it's too late for me since I have already made the investment, but I hope others will learn from my experience

If anyone knows of the part number and a decent place to buy it, please let me know. Thanks

Old 01-08-08, 10:01 AM
M
You can get a replacement 18" round brine grid with legs here
http://ohiopurewater.com/shop/custom...cat=434&page=1
49 bucks plus shipping. You have to make sure it will fit your requirements.

Old 01-09-08, 08:48 AM
A
My, what a simple solution!

How old is your system? Why (how) are they broken. My experience is they only break when the grid is removed improperly and replaced improperly, or the customer has jammed a long hard object down into it, maybe trying to break up salt bridging. And that's the wrong thing to

I understand when customers don't want to
have a service guy come out only to be told the owner did something improper.

Just ask them for the part and pick it up and put it in yourself. Most dealers will UPS it to you if you live far away. I have never heard of one dealer that won't cash-n-carry that part.

It is a rather generic part and used ones will work well. Many dealers may just give you a used one or for next to nothing.

Saying there is nothing separating the salt from the water is not true even will all the tabs missing.

It is a very easy fix.

Andy Christensen, CWS-II

Old 01-09-08, 01:31 PM
J
Originally Posted by SS1000 View Post
With Kinetico, they will have you held as hostage. it's too late for me since I have already made the investment, but I hope others will learn from my experience
I looked up my local Kinetico dealer in the Yellow Pages and gave them a call. I have never spoken with them before.

I told them I needed a salt grid for their 18" round brine tank and asked if they had one and how much. Without hesitation they told me they had the grid and it was $24.

They asked what was wrong with my salt grid and how old my softener was. I asked them why that mattered and they replied "there's a 10 year warranty on parts".

Perhaps different approaches get different results

Old 01-09-08, 01:36 PM
A
Justalurker,

Wow. Sorry, you had such a tough time. I'm sure it will work out for you.
Andy

Old 01-09-08, 08:26 PM
J
I THINK TOO MANY TIMES HERE PEOPLE ARE QUICK TO POST SOMETHING THAT WAS OBVIOUSLY A MISUNDERSTANDING.....THERE ARE AGREEMENTS KINETICO HAS IN PLACE WITH THEIR DEALERS THAT PREVENT THEM FROM BEING AS HELPFUL AS SOME PEOPLE WOULD LIKE...BUT NOTHING TO PREVENT DEALERS FROM SELLING PARTS......I'VE NEVER TRIED, BUT I WOULD THINK THAT IF I WAS TO CALL DODGE AND ASK THEM FOR A TAIL LIGHT ASSEMBLY FOR MY TRUCK, I MIGHT GET THE SAME ANSWER....

NOW FOR THE MOST IMPORTANT ISSUE.....THE TABS BROKE OFF THE GRID PLATE.....SO WHAT??....THEY ARE NOT A "SEAL"....THEY ARE ONLY THERE TO HOLD THE GRID IN THE CENTER TO PREVENT SALT PELLETS FROM DROPPING IN BELOW THE GRID AND BECOMING A SALT BRIDGE....WHICH WOULD ONLY HAPPEN IF THE GRID PLATE WERE TO MOVE AROUND....BUT UNLESS YOU HAVE A HABIT OF HOOKING THE BRINE TANK UP TO YOUR TRUCK WITH A CHAIN AND DRAGGING IT AROUND YOUR NEIGHBORHOOD, THE CHANCES OF YOU GETTING THE GRID PLATE TO MOVE ARE PRETTY SLIM.....FORGET ABOUT IT, AND CONTINUE TO ENJOY THE UNIT WORKING SUFFICIENTLY ........

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: