Water Softner Question

Old 01-10-08, 12:04 PM
L
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Water Softner Question

My wife and I didn't feel that our water softner was working, and therefore stopped putting salt in. I realize it was the wrong decision to put off having it looked at. It has been a number of months since we have put salt in. Will this create any problems for the softner? Will it take longer for it to begin working properly? We would like to have it checked by a professional, but would like to get it going again first so they can test to see if it is working as it should be. How long (after putting salt in) do we need to wait before it "should" be working again? Any info/opinions would be great - thanks!

Old 01-10-08, 01:57 PM
A
....it all depends" as they say.

Normally, running a softener for extended periods of time and or large volumes of water can cause some degradation of both the equipment and the resins.

Resins can become fouled, caked, broken (flushed out and reduced in volume) or mushed. The valve can accummulate iron and scale build up that can be removed buy may required disassembly.

My first suggestion is the clean out the brine drum thoroughly and half fill with high quality salt. Wait a few hours. Put a cup of bleach in the brine drum and put it through a manual regeneration. Wait a few hours and do it again. This may be all it needs.

Have the water tested over the next few days to see if it is producing soft water. Most people can 'feel' the softness in the shower immediately and when it doesn't work, as well.

Not to worry,...yet. If this fails then more costly replairs/replacements may be required.

Andy Christensen, CWS-II

Last edited by AndyC; 01-10-08 at 01:58 PM. Reason: sp.
Old 01-10-08, 02:02 PM
A
....it all depends" as they say.

What did you mean it didn't feel like it was working? Whenver that happens again, put it in by-pass and wait till it is diagnosed and serviced.

Normally, running a softener for extended periods of time and or large volumes of water can cause some degradation of both the equipment and the resins.

Resins can become fouled, caked, broken (flushed out and reduced in volume) or mushed. The valve can accummulate iron and scale build up that can be removed buy may required disassembly.

My first suggestion is the clean out the brine drum thoroughly and half fill with high quality salt. Wait a few hours. Put a cup of bleach in the brine drum and put it through a manual regeneration. Wait a few hours and do it again. This may be all it needs.

Have the water tested over the enxt few days to see if it is producing soft water. Most people can 'feel' the softness in the shower immediately and when it doesn't work as well.

Not to worry,...yet. If this fails then more costly replairs/replacements may be required.

Andy Christensen, CWS-II

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: