water filtration advice on undersink models

Old 01-26-08, 12:30 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
water filtration advice on undersink models

I am planning on installing an under the sink water filter, right now I am between a reverse osmosis unit ($160) and just an under the sink model with no reverse osmosis ($50). I have been doing my research online and most of the info I have found is the reverse osmosis unit, filters out good minerals and flouride along with the bad minerals. By the way it is city water that I have. I would like some advice on which filter I should go with. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Old 01-26-08, 12:37 PM
A
I would always recommend an RO. Of course an RO at the $160 price range is the low end of the ladder as far as quality is concerned.

Does that price include installation? Are replacement filter available? Have you had you water tested? What is the warranty offered?

What do you mean by "good" minerals? Why do you need to drink floride?

Andy Christensen, CWS-II

Old 01-26-08, 12:42 PM
R
Originally Posted by AndyC
I would always recommend an RO. Of course an RO at the $160 price range is the low end of the ladder as far as quality is concerned.

Does that price include installation? Are replacement filter available? Have you had you water tested? What is the warranty offered?

What do you mean by "good" minerals? Why do you need to drink floride?

Andy Christensen, CWS-II
Does not include installation, I will be installing myself. Units are carried by Sears and Lowes, I would say filters are available. There are numerous websites that say reverse osmosis is only needed is there is a specific water condition. I don't need flouride but It is a very essential to young children.

Old 01-26-08, 12:58 PM
A
Do any of those web site offer alternatives? Can you refer to those. Sometimes they are motivated by sales of other systems.

Andy Christensen, CWS-II

Old 01-26-08, 02:37 PM
R
Originally Posted by AndyC
Do any of those web site offer alternatives? Can you refer to those. Sometimes they are motivated by sales of other systems.

Andy Christensen, CWS-II
Here is one of the sites:

http://www.consumersearch.com/www/ki...ers/index.html

Reverse osmosis systems removes almost every contaminant you could possibly have in your water. But they also filter out "good" minerals such as fluoride. The process wastes about five gallons of water for every gallon of purified water produced, and it flushes contaminants back into the water supply. Therefore, reverse osmosis should be considered only if you have specific contamination problems.

Old 01-27-08, 09:26 AM
M
Have you thought of getting your essential minerals from, say, a good diet rich in the vitamins and minerals you need? And as for fluoride, that's poison that NOBODY needs in their water, especially your children. Get the ro system, eat right to get your vitamins and minerals, and have the dentist put the fluoride ON your children's teeth; where it does the most good. The only thing you need in your water is...water.

Old 01-27-08, 09:50 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I bought mine on ebay a few years back. My wife is sensitive to many chemicals so I went with the reverse osmosis. It tests much better than the bottled water. Aqua Safe is the brand I bought.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: