Kinetico K30 - Assessment and next steps

Old 01-29-08, 07:24 AM
B
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Kinetico K30 - Assessment and next steps

Hello all with experience in the area of Kinetico repair/ refurb :

I have a K30 Kinetico water softener that I am considering whether or not to repair. It was thrown away by the previous owner, so I am confident it is not currently in working order.

We live in an area with city water that has a very high chlorine content, as we live in a southern area. ( 10ppm Chlorine ' demand' , with 2 + ppm residual ).
I am estimating that the K30 is about 10 to 15 years old, and so the existing ion exchange resin/ media is probably not in good shape, or has failed.

I have the K30 softener head assembly, the 2 fiberglass tanks, and the short pipes that connect the two together, and also the pipe that goes to the brine tank. I do not have the brine tank, and I do not have whatever would be in the Kinetico brine tank ( brine valve, etc )..

The 2 fiberglass tanks appear to be in good shape.

Considering this, is it worth it to fix this and place it back into service ?
I do have a 8 year old GE smartwater system that has again failed due to the usual internal rotor parts that need to be replaced, and the media is also shot( per the orange colored sand that has started to appear. ) So, if I use the GE system for parts salvage, I suppose I have at least a brine tank from the GE system, ( the brine tank is already installed, including the overflow tabe, so I would like to re-use this if possible). And, if the brine valve is compatible, its possible that I have a brine valve……….. however, I do not know if the GE brine valve is compatible at all with a Kinetico K30 head assembly.

I have checked the K30 head assembly turbine, and it does spin freely several turns by itself when given a little push.
The gear in the clear round window at the top of the head has a 3 on it. This softener was used in my neighborhood on the same public water supply, so this wheel with the 3 should be compatible with my water also.

What else can I check, and how would you recommend that I proceed to further evaluate this unit, and to assess whether it's worth fixing.

Is there a way to get parts for this / etc, for some reasonable price ?
What would be a typical cost to refurbish this head, assuming typical failed parts on a 10 to 15 year old Kinetico K30 ?

Thanks for your help !

Old 01-30-08, 01:45 PM
J
The K-30 I currently have in use is going on 22 years old with the original resin, in a high chlorine level.....the float assembly that you have is not compatible, you should get one from your local dealer......Honestly, I personally wouldn't mind spending a few hundred dollars to have the unit checked and installed....It will give you much better and longer life than replacing what you have with what you have

Old 01-30-08, 03:20 PM
A
The problem with 'throw-aways' is you never know what went wrong (frozen and cracked, chemical damage, etc.) but it can be completely rebuilt.

Still, it needs to matched with the source water and geared likewise.

Andy Christensen, CWS-II

Old 02-01-08, 09:22 PM
B
Geared ok, need brine tank setup, what does good resin look like ?

AndyC and jdp38, thanks for your posts. So, let me address your comments. This softener is from my same neighborhood, and we are all on the same public water supply, so I am geared right already.
Also, yes, I could have resin that is ok, even though its old and had a lot of our high chlorine water......that is a good point........ can I see if its ok by visually inspecting it ? I unscrewed the top, and can see the resin beads easily. What exactly should I look for ? ( They look golden translucent, and small. )
Freezing is a possibility, but we are in mid florida, and this unit is only subjected to a few hours of freezing temps per all year... but this could have happened.
IF I can get my hands on a brine tank and the assemblies inside the tank, I could then test the whole system..... what would be your best / least expensive sources for the brine tank setup ?
Thanks as always for comments / suggestions / help !

Old 02-05-08, 09:18 PM
B
New kinetico versus rebuilding the one I have

I can get a new kinetico head for my K30, I understand these are about $500........ OR, I can get the one I have rebuilt. Can anyone tell me what is better, and if the rebuild would be a lot less than $500

Old 02-06-08, 04:10 AM
A
From your description, the resins sound OK. One of our service tech takes a few beads and chews them and can tell by the way they 'crunch'. That is a home spun way and is not scientific but if they are soft, then they are shot.

Brine tanks are available on-line. All Kinetico valves are completely rebuildable as long as you have the parts and know-how. It may be cheaper to rebuild it.

Andy Christensen, CWS-II

Old 02-06-08, 06:34 PM
J
It's Alot Cheaper To Rebuild!

Old 02-18-08, 02:08 PM
B
Brine tank / resin condition / K30 head rebuild

2/18/08: AndyC and jdp38, thanks again for your latest posts. - So it looks like I can obtain a generic brine tank to attach to the kinetico head/ tanks that I have. Thats great ! Any particular brand that you think is the best value ?
- I will go check out the resin, and see if the beads are hard / crunchy, or soft.
- And, on the subject of rebuilding the K30 head I have, what would this typically cost to rebuild ?
Thanks !

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: