kinetico 2060 regen problem

Old 01-29-08, 08:40 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
kinetico 2060 regen problem

What a great idea for a forum. Wish I had joined long ago!!

Now, to my specific issue. I have a model 2060 that I installed new in Sept of 2005. When I bought it, the water test revealed a hardness level of 17 and iron level of 5. I beleive that the timing disc was also a number 5.

I have had issues with rusty water in sinks, stools, showers, etc. periodically. I had the kinetico service folks come once and they cleaned the system and suggested I install a second whole house filter to allow the use of a fine filter for taste and particulate control, i.e. 3 - 5 micron filter with activated charcoal. I then installed a second filter housing and use one as a prefilter with a 10 - 20 micron filter cartridge.

Over the past few months, I have been closely moitoring the regeneration cycles and have noticed that one tank NEVER regenerates automatically. I can advance the timiing wheel to get it started and then it regenerates. The other tank regenerates at the preset point and then it waits for me to manually regen the first tank again.

I am assuming there is a problem with the water pathway or the gearing for that one troublesome side.

Any sugestions? Thanks in advance for your help.

Aaron

Old 01-30-08, 01:40 PM
J
Being that the control head operates both tanks, what you are suggesting does not seem likely......the unit regenerates only when needed by measuring water usage.... how are you sure it is "waiting" for you to manually regenerate?

Old 01-31-08, 07:26 AM
A
jdp 38,

Thank you for the reply.

I beleive only one tank is regenerated automatically for a couple reasons.

When I have had rust stains in appliances over the last 4 months, I have looked at the softener and found that there is salt in the brine tank, the brine is drawn into the resin tanks when regenerated but oddly - the indicator dial is in the "6 o'clock" position each time.

This occurred on the following dates;

10/26/07
11/11/07
11/30/07
12/7/07
12/15/07

After this, I made it a point to manually regenerate the system when it was in the "6 o'clock" position because I didn't wan't to deal with staining. The other odd thing is that when I looked at the softener, I never found it in the "12 o'clock" position unless it was right after I manually regenerated the unit.

However, just now, when I went down to the basement to get the chart I was using, I found it in the "12 o'clock" position!!

Could I have coincidentally checked it 15 times in the last four months and found it waiting in the "6 o'clcok" position? Or, could it have been plugged in some way and now is clear?

I hope this makes sense to you. I also, hope it is working now. Any insight you have would be great. My wife wants me to throw it in trash pick up but I know the system has been around long enough to be a good one.

Thanks

Old 02-02-08, 08:03 PM
J
What Indicator Are Your Referring To?...... If Your Wife Wants You To Throw It Out, Let Me Know Where You Live And I Will Come Get It!!!!

Old 02-03-08, 01:33 PM
A
A disk 5 may be adequate but your salt setting should be at least 4.0 lbs or better yet, 4.6 lbs. If you are using less than that, you may continue to get some iron staining.

With high iron, a higher salt setting is needed.

There may be a chance that something in blocking the valve or a gear is missing a tooth. Get it working and it will serve you well.

Andy Chrstensen, CWS-II

Old 02-04-08, 11:01 AM
J
I Dont Think There Is A Tooth Missing....once That Happens, The Disc Wont Turn At All When It Reaches That Point, So It Wouldnt Be In The Same Position Every Time They Look At It....and If It Was A Gearing Issue, It Wouldnt Regenerate Automatically

Old 02-04-08, 02:16 PM
A
jdp38

You're right. That would happen if the tooth was broken off.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: