Neutralizer question

Old 02-11-08, 01:42 PM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Neutralizer question

I am on well water that's actually pretty good and purchased a Kinetico 4060 a few years ago that seems to be doing the job for us as far as sediment filtration and softening goes. The water hardness at last test (this past Saturday) was 6, Iron 0, ph 6.65, TDS 120. The ph changes somewhat from 6.45 to 6.8 throughout the season (as measured by a pool test kit when filling the fish tank or adding water to the small pool we have). I am in the process of having the water tested as I just upgraded both the well pump (3/4hp) and pressure switch (40/60) and replaced the electrical wiring after an electric problem burned out the pump and shorted the wiring....so I will have those results in a few weeks.

I'm investigating a neutralizer to eliminate the copper staining in the house and have had a Kinetico 2100F Neutralizer recommended to me by the Kinetico Sales rep. From browsing the forum, there are quite a few experts here, so I', looking for some feedback on this unit and possibly some comparisons to the more do-it-yourself-install units like 2.5 c.f. down-flow units with Fleck controllers available for MUCH cheaper online. I mean a whole bunch cheaper: 2/3 or more.

Also curious about opinions on drinking softened water: some sites proclaim that you should NEVER, EVER drink softened water without a RO system in place. I grew up on softened water and haven't had too many complaints about the additional sodium in the water now.

Old 03-04-08, 09:39 PM
L
My name is Lon Brouse and I am a retired Chemical Engineer with 25 years' experience in industrial water treatment for the nuclear and fossil power industry. The softener you buy is between you and your advisor.

The additional sodium in your drinking water can be quite small when using softened water. For example, water that has 400 mg/L of calcium ion (about 24 grains/gallon, which is very hard water) would release about 200 mg/L of sodium ion. The recommended daily allowance for sodium is approximately 2,000 mg. If you drank a half-gallon of softened water from this source, you would be getting only about 20% of the RDA of sodium from your water.

The warning not to drink softened water is not because you might get too much sodium (a small bag of potato chips has much more sodium than a normal day's water consumption). The problem is that softeners remove necessary minerals (calcium and magnesium). People who move from "hard" water areas to "soft" water areas statistically suffer from this mineral imbalance. Portland, Oregon, for example, is known as a "carries belt." That is a place where the rainwater and snowmelt make the water naturally "soft". Additionally, tooth decay is rempant. People who drink softened or R.O. water need to be aware of this loss of minerals and make sure they supplement their diet to replace the minerals. Using an R.O. unit downstream will remove the sodium, but it will not correct the original problem with soft water, that is the loss of the other minerals.

I hope this helps.

Old 03-05-08, 04:29 AM
A
Originally Posted by wardp View Post
I am on well water that's actually pretty good and purchased a Kinetico 4060 a few years ago that seems to be doing the job for us as far as sediment filtration and softening goes.
What number disk is on the softener? Glad it is working well for you, it is a good piece of equipment.

The water hardness at last test (this past Saturday) was 6, Iron 0, ph 6.65, TDS 120. The ph changes somewhat from 6.45 to 6.8 throughout the season (as measured by a pool test kit when filling the fish tank or adding water to the small pool we have). I am in the process of having the water tested as I just upgraded both the well pump (3/4hp) and pressure switch (40/60) and replaced the electrical wiring after an electric problem burned out the pump and shorted the wiring....so I will have those results in a few weeks.
I am assuming you are using a shallow-well pump or a jet pump, right, as opposed to a submersible pump? Although your pH is not horribly low, it can be easily corrected with a system using Calcite alone (with a mag-oxide mix).

I'm investigating a neutralizer to eliminate the copper staining in the house and have had a Kinetico 2100F Neutralizer recommended to me by the Kinetico Sales rep. From browsing the forum, there are quite a few experts here, so I', looking for some feedback on this unit and possibly some comparisons to the more do-it-yourself-install units like 2.5 c.f. down-flow units with Fleck controllers available for MUCH cheaper online. I mean a whole bunch cheaper: 2/3 or more.
A neutralizer with a 2.5 cuft bed will be in a tank about 12-13" wide and 54" tall. This is a very large tank and needs a great deal of water and flow rate to backwash the bed to lift it and avoid solidification and water channeling. Your pumping system, even with a 3/4 hp pump will not do that, and over a period of time it will cause problems.

The 2100 has a total of 3 cuft of media but one tank at a time back washes needing half the flow rate, enough to adequately backwash the bed under normal operating conditions. mSo yo get more media for the water to neutralize and less flow rate to backwash.

The K unit comes with a ten-year warranty and has some unique features and qualities.

Also curious about opinions on drinking softened water: some sites proclaim that you should NEVER, EVER drink softened water without a RO system in place. I grew up on softened water and haven't had too many complaints about the additional sodium in the water now.
I don't prefer to drink softened water but I wouldn't worry about it. That "NEVER, EVER" pronouncement should be held to looking into welding arcs and walking in Laotian mines fields, not for drinking treated softened water.

Andy Christensen, CWS-II

Old 03-05-08, 05:50 PM
W
Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
What number disk is on the softener? Glad it is working well for you, it is a good piece of equipment.

I am assuming you are using a shallow-well pump or a jet pump, right, as opposed to a submersible pump? Although your pH is not horribly low, it can be easily corrected with a system using Calcite alone (with a mag-oxide mix).

Andy Christensen, CWS-II
Disc in the softener was a 2, is now a 3

Actually, the pump is a 3/4 HP submersible. Well depth was about 180ft with water at about 40 or so feet and the pump being fed out to around 110 ft. of pipe down the hole.

Thanks for the reply all! The unit is in and is working great - not cheap, but appears to be quality stuff.

Wife likes the RO because the water doens't have any taste now, but the kids claim it tasted better before we did anything to it - don't know if I disagree with them.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: