Are re-usable filters worthwhile?

Old 02-11-08, 09:04 PM
C
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are re-usable filters worthwhile?

Hi all,

I'm going to be replacing some plumbing equipt and had a question. How useful are the washable filters like this:

http://ohiopurewaterco.com/shop/cust...me.php?cat=569

I currently have a 20" tall filter housing before my softener and UV light. It lasts about 6 months and the filters come out caked in deep red stuff. Testing shows my iron at 1.8 ppm.

Can these re-usable pleated filters take out the iron and then be washed? How many times can you re-use them?

Any info would be appreciated! Thanks!

CJ

Old 02-12-08, 04:46 AM
A
Flow Max makes good filters. Yes, they are reusable. These are surface filters as opposed to depth filters.

Let them dry and brush or air jet the dirt off from the outside, or wash them off rigth away with a gardne hose.

Let them dry. They will be stained but their ability to again separate sediment from the water will still be useful for a couple, three more times. Try to keep track how many times they are used. Eventually they will develop holes and need to be discarded.

If you have iron bacteria, after cleaning them, let the soak in a bucket of water with a tablespoon of bleach overnight.

Andy Christensen, CWS-II

Old 02-12-08, 06:55 AM
C
Thx Andy. What is 'iron bacteria' as opposed to just iron, or is that the same thing?

My concern was that sediment had some properties that allowed it to be cleaned from the filters, but that iron was different and would permeate the surface clogging it permanently.

Do these reusables filter for as long as the spun or melt filters before cleaning? If they can be used 3 or 4 times, but need to be cleaned bimonthly, then it loses some of of its economic appeal.

CJ

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: