Avantapure 269, extreme water hammer, drain blows hard, frequent cycles,HELP!!

Old 03-05-08, 01:57 AM
P
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Avantapure 269, extreme water hammer, drain blows hard, frequent cycles,HELP!!

Hi, My first post here, desperate for any help.
We're in CA, and our local dealer suggested we upgrade to the Avantapure 269 control head on top of our Technetic 1000 tank, because parts were no longer available for the Technetic head. We bit the bullet mostly for the 5 year warranty, and had valve seals replaced years back on the old one.

We've had this a month and a half, and have not slept through one night regeneration yet !!! Driving us crazy and the dealer is no help.

1) When regen timer gets to 21 min. left, cycle might be switching to fast rinse, but we get a extreme 1 sec vibration from the head unit that sends shocks through the cement floor that can be felt 20 feet away, that feels like a jackhammer. This cannot be good for any equipment, pipes, or flooring.
Tech put it through a few cycles manually, not sure if he hit the 21min mark, but it made no such noise (our luck) they won't come back without charging us.

2) First night it cycled we didn't know it blew the drain hose up, and knocked our washer drain out also, wet floor next washer load. Crammed a foam block on top of the drain fitting and it has only happened once since, but it always blows hard and shakes the drain tube. it happens 2 min after the water hammer. Looks like black flex 1/2 inch low pressure drip irrigation line , 2 90 elbows, and 1 almost 180 into the washer drain, slight kink at the drain, 28 foot run. Tech must have not hit this spot in the cycle either, because it didn't blow hard for him.

3) Autotrol head, is supposed to give 1000 gals. Cycles every 3 days after only 500 gals usage as read by the head. Tech put on a new electronic control, no change, no explaination.

4) They wrote 5 year warranty on the work order....that's it!!
No certificate to say what is covered or who is covering it. I even asked in advance and at install. Tha's all I get ?? No owners manual other than 3 pages of simple time and regen insrtuctions, that came from the 44 page PDF I found online. Do I need to direct them to the trouble shooting guide ? Make a video for them ? Sorry, but I'm getting really mad as I write this.

I could go on some more for sure, but I don't want to put you to sleep, wife and I could sure use some though.

Thanks for any help at all.

Last edited by Photolad; 03-05-08 at 11:42 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-05-08, 01:47 PM
F
Hey,I'm sorry to hear about all these problems with this Advantapure. Here's the problem though,I'm having trouble finding ANY info on this Advantapure 269 system,is this the actual valve itself? Because in your post you did mention having an Autotrol (good valve). If your Advantapure is preventing your sleep at night,there should be a way to alter the time of regeneration either by off-setting the clock,or manually setting the regen time. HOWEVER if you do find a way to adjust the regen time,please make sure you're not using any hot water while the softener is in it's regenerational mode as this will surely ruin any soft water that may be in there. If you do use hot water during this time,your hot water heater may draw cold hard water into it becuase most softeners go into bypass when regenerating. I'm sorry if this has been confusing and I hope I helped a little. Shoot me an Email if you'd like,I love water softeners and I love helping people with them.

Old 03-06-08, 12:06 AM
P
Thank you for your reply,
It is actually avantapure.com (no d ) I made the same mistake 2 hours searching on the internet, instead of looking at my paper work. I had found them on the net before, and not finding them this time really steamed me, thinking they vanished.
I have instructions to change the regen. time, but just can't believe it is functioning normally with the loud hammering or vibration. I want to prevent any damage to the unit or my pipes, before a work around.
Thanks for the tip on not using hot water. Is the hard water itself more of a problem in hot water, or just not to junk up the water heater ?

Old 03-08-08, 03:14 AM
F
Ok I see what your saying. Are you can well water? If you are,get your well-man out to chech everything on the well side of things. Also,put your softener in bypass and leave it that way for two days,if you ever hear that stupid annoying noise with the unit in bypass,you KNOW it's not the softener. In the event everything is quiet when in bypass,try like hell you get the company who sold it to you to honor there hopefully still existing warranty.
You asked: "Is the hard water itself more of a problem in hot water, or just not to junk up the water heater ?". Hot hard water is no better or worse on hot as opposed to cold. They are both just hard which happens to be pretty much bad for all appliances,showers,dishes,most people's skin,some kinds of humidifires and lots of other stuff. If your water heater is on hard water over a chunk of time it may start to act up because of the actual hard water itself. Soft water feeding the heater is simply better because soft water is better water. I hope I helped some. It's about 4am now,I'[m done..

Old 03-16-08, 01:06 AM
P
Smile

Thanks again for your reply, not trying to keep you up too late though
No we're not on well water, comes from wells, just not our own. The noise happens only with 21 min. to go on the regen cycle. After talkng to a another companies service guy 2 min. on the phone he knew my problem. Very nice of him to take the time with me even though it wasn't his problem.

The brine tank dosen't have a check ball in the float assembly/draw tube, so it is drawing air at the end of draw. When it goes into the fast rinse mode, major water hammer, that is also causing the drain line to blow out of the washer waste drain. The manual says the brine check ball assembly it is an option with this unit.

The helpful service guy/owner is also a distrubitor of the avantapure and contacted the distributor with the parts need for my local dealer to pick up for me He also says my warranty is good with the manafacture.

So I call my local company that installed it, and still get the story they want to charge me to come out and install parts on my word that might be the problem, because they claim they still didn't see the problems when they were out. This has been going on 7 weeks, they must think I'm a crazy person who likes to call and bother them for fun.

So after not letting me talk to the owner, and still getting nowhere......I say I'm going to the local news and whatever else it takes to get my problem solved. The person I've been dealing with admits she is not a service tech and has no idea what's going on, (really?) then find someone who does please. Next day get a call from them, seems they just now talked to the manafacture, and....... yep that's my problem....brine check ball

I just can't believe they didn't call the manufacture before They still say they have absolutley never had this problem before after hundreds of installs (my luck). So they'll be out in a few days to install the brine check, and try to fix my other problems too.

Sorry for the long story, it's been a big part of our waking nights the last 7 weeks. Hopefully we have a happy ending, I'll let you know.
Greg

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: