Culligan Mark 89 needing more frequent recharge

Old 03-07-08, 01:55 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Culligan Mark 89 needing more frequent recharge

I have a 9 year old Mark 89 which for the past 9 years has been regenerating every 3 days without any issues. Lately, we seem to run out of soft water less than 3 days, particularly heavy weekend clothes washing. It never seemed to do this previously.

There are 3 of us in the house and we are on city water with moderate hardness. No iron that I am aware of.

Would it be most (cost) effective to:

A) Replace the unit with something that has "usage" regulated regeneration?

B) Have the resin bed replaced?

C) Live with 50% greater salt usage as long as it is still working otherwise?

Is there an effective (somewhat safe) resin cleaning process that can be accomplished by a DIYer?

Old 03-07-08, 07:14 AM
J
Originally Posted by shaker281 View Post
I have a 9 year old Mark 89 which for the past 9 years has been regenerating every 3 days without any issues. Lately, we seem to run out of soft water less than 3 days, particularly heavy weekend clothes washing. It never seemed to do this previously.

There are 3 of us in the house and we are on city water with moderate hardness. No iron that I am aware of.

Would it be most (cost) effective to:

A) Replace the unit with something that has "usage" regulated regeneration?

B) Have the resin bed replaced?

C) Live with 50% greater salt usage as long as it is still working otherwise?

Is there an effective (somewhat safe) resin cleaning process that can be accomplished by a DIYer?
Regenerating 3 times a week is too often, wastes a lot of water and salt, and indicates that the softener is too small for the water conditions and usage or it is a wasteful and outdated "timer based" softener that is too small or setup wrong.

Regardless, that softener has a problem now and any repair cost is better spent on a new, modern, efficient softener.

IMO the only answer is "A". Get an industry standard softener that is "demand initiated" (regenerates based on water usage) and that it properly sized for your water usage and conditions.

Old 03-08-08, 01:13 AM
S
Thanks for the reply. I figured a new unit that is demand driven would be best. Not really into throwing good money after bad.

And I have read the suggestions regarding a good industry standard unit. I guess that rules out the latest Whirlpool or Kenmore units? So, I'll check with a couple local shops and see what they are offering.

Thanks again.

Old 03-08-08, 09:51 AM
J
I recommended industry standard softeners from a water treatment professional over the pre-built box store softeners.

Industry standard softeners will last longer, be easier to get parts for and repair, will usually be more efficient, and generally don't cost more than the box store softeners.

Buying from a local water treatment professional you'll have the option of professional installation, they'll inspect your plumbing for possible installation complications, and test your water.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: