Kinetico quad 50 not softening water

Old 03-13-08, 10:07 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Kinetico quad 50 not softening water

I have a Kinetico quad 50 that goes through the regeneration cycle but the water is not soft. Even when I do it manually, the water is not soft. I need direction on what to be looking for, cleaning or reseting. It doesn't appear to be using any salt.
Thank you.

Old 03-14-08, 03:32 AM
A
How old is your unit?

The salt may be bridged and not dropping. What size is your brine drum? If you manually regenerate it, disconnect the brine line at the brine drum carefully and see if it is sucking air at the beginning of the regeneration stage.

Try that first.

Andy Christensen, CWS-II

Old 03-14-08, 09:16 AM
R
The unit is 11 years old.
The brine tank is rectangular 11x19 and 20 inches high.
The salt has not bridged.

When I start the regeneration, I can not disconnect the brine line as water sprays out and I tried a few times during and had the same result. So I would say no, it does not suck air when regeneration starts.

I have to admit I have no idea how it is supposed to work. I also pulled the float unit up while regenerating and there was no water coming in to the brine tank.

Thank you

Old 03-14-08, 01:01 PM
A
Pulling the float will stop the water. When it starts the regeneration, it should suck air. There may be somethng wrong in the valve.

I assume you are on city water, right? Has the carbon ever been changed? It may be in need of inspection and service.

It is difficult from here to determine exact cause, sorry. I mean if it goes through completely the cycle then something unusual may be involved here.

Andy Christensen, CWS-II

Old 03-14-08, 03:09 PM
R
One problem is I don't know how the water is suppose to flow during the recycle. Do you know of any websites I could visit that would give a diagram or explanation on the process?

When you say a valve might be stuck, do you mean in the float?

I did have to take the top off the main unit about a month ago because something had lodged in a clean out tube and our water was tasting salty. I had the same problem once before and watched the tech fix it so I knew what I was looking for and there was something lodged in it. Could I have moved something inadvertently? There are two blue balls floating, what do these do?

Is there always suppose to be pressure in the brine line? When the unit stopped recycling I took the line off and the float released allowing water to flow through it. As soon as I hooked it back up, it shut off and I am not able to move it up or down.

If there is any more direction you could give I would appreciate it. Thanks for the info.

Old 03-14-08, 06:02 PM
A
I am not familiar with any web sites that provide exploded views or parts listing. There may be, but I haven't seen any.

The valve I am referring to is the main valve that controls the operations. It is too difficult to diagnose the exact problem without looking at it.

You may need to call for a service check. The brine line is under pressure except for brining stages. I have heard owners have taken the valve apart and didn't put it back together properly, and they didn't work. Sorry, if that happened.

Andy Christensen, CWS-II

Old 03-15-08, 02:28 PM
A
I sent a private message.

Andy

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: