Maganese Greensand Filters - Servicing

Old 03-19-08, 11:24 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Maganese Greensand Filters - Servicing

Hi,

I recently moved into a house a few weeks ago and have been trying to sort out some water issues since. We are on a well with a system with two pressure tanks (currently in the process of replacing one of them as it is older and our water is rusty and it seems to be the likley source), a hot water tank and what I believe is a maganese greensand filter (no markings at all on the tank). Our hot water has a sulphur smell to it, which lead me to do some reasearch and come to the conclusion that it likely a maganese greensand filter we have. Does anyone have any experience with this type of filter? The house was empty for about a year before we moved in and the filter has not been plugged in to activate any regeneration processes/flushing. I want to find some more information on them before I 'plug it in and see' in terms of what type of servicing it may need after sitting that long without being used.

Any information/help would be appreciated. Thanks

Greg

Old 03-19-08, 11:39 AM
G
Forgot to mention, the filter is a standalone system and there does not appear to be a potassium permanganate regen tank connection at all.

Old 03-19-08, 11:46 AM
G

We also have one of these right as the water enters the house from the well, can anyone fill me in to what exactly it is for?

Old 03-19-08, 01:58 PM
Y
Received 22 Upvotes on 21 Posts
Are there any markings on the valve on your tank?

If your tank is fiberglass you may be able to shine a BRIGHT, BRIGHT light behind it and "see through" the other side, to see at what level is the media.

If the tank sat unused for a year, the media could have some bacteria.

If I were you, I would call someone who services filtering equipment (not a water softener guy) and see what's what.

Old 03-19-08, 02:30 PM
G
Air injection system ?

That certainly looks like an air injection system.

The black device is an eductor that introduces air into the line through the venturi effect. The red-handled ball valve regulates the amount of water flow directed through the eductor.

I would presume that the downstream tank is a backwashing sediment filter to trap & discharge the oxidized materials. It could also possibly have an oxidative media that enhances the effect.

Are there any serial numbers or other identifying marks on the control valve ?

More photos would be helpful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: