Kinetico softener bluish black residue problem

Old 03-20-08, 11:00 PM
K
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kinetico softener bluish black residue problem

Hi, I had a new Kinetico quad softener with 2 tanks and a carbon filter (and RO) installed by the dealer on Monday. I am on city water. By Tuesday night I still had a large amount of bluish black residue coating everything that the softened water had been in... like the bathtub and sink. The RO faucet sink did not have the same problem. I called the dealer and they said "it is just carbon". It's Friday night and the problem is no better. I have a baby who has been bathing in and drinking this residue water and I am getting worried. Has anyone experienced this problem and do you have any insight? What could it be? Is it a potential health hazard? The dealer stopped by this afternoon, left his car running, engaged the bypass value and left, saying he'll be back sometime tomorrow afternoon. He said he has no idea what is wrong. The house is 5 years old so I didn't think the installation would be any big deal. Also, with all that residue flowing into the RO unit, what do I need to ask him to replace in it? Just the prefilter, or more than that? Thanks.

Old 04-03-08, 07:58 PM
C
Residue

You don't mention the model but some 4040s may have had issues with inadequate quality carbon and were recalled. This problem was fixed a while back, but your dealer may have had a unit sitting around for a while and it could be one of those. That would cause black residue.

The blue may be from oxidized copper from the inside of the plumbing. The chlorine that was previously in the water oxidized the copper and now the clean, soft water is stripping it from the inside of the pipes and depositing it in your fixtures.

Old 04-18-08, 03:11 PM
R
I've had similar issues, yet with out the installation of any purification system. A black residue comes out of the main spout in our bath tub. It usually adheres to the side of the tub or whatever it comes in contact with. Its easily rubbed away, but I worry my girls are being exposed to something dangerous.

My family and I were away for two weeks and upon returning a large amount was washed out. Specifically, it seems to only occur with hot water, but can also be accompanied by a light green residue too. Perhaps this [green residue] is oxidized copper? Our home is a 2002.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 04-18-08, 07:06 PM
C
Yes the green is most likely oxidised copper. The black would most likely be manganese that is dropping out of solution in the hot water, or if you have chlorinated town water, dropping out of solution due to chlorine oxidation. More details on the source of your water would help.

Old 04-22-08, 09:05 AM
T
Agree with Cleanwaterman, We need more info.
Sorry the "dealer or tech" was not caring. A couple notes here. Your water heater should be flushed out on a routine basis. Hook a hose to the hose bib on the bottom, put the hose into a sink ( secure it so it will not come out or splash out) put into a sump pit or outside if possible, Best idea is to put a 1/4 turn hose shut off valve on end of hose. ( wal mart, Lowes, Home Depot less than $4 usually) open valve on water heater so water goes in hose, open valve fully. On other end of hose, have 1/4 turn valve shut. Then when you get to the end of the hose turn water on for 15 seconds, shut off quiclky, then open it again 5-10 seconds later. depending on legnth of hose after a few cycles of valve open / shut, you'll see your sediment and other colors come out, Repeat the open / close until water runs clear. Then your done. re do in 4 - 6 months. This should be done on all water heaters and also pressure tanks on well systems. This will add alot more life to your units!!!! Plumbers don't tell you that cause they won't be replacing them as often.
As far as your treatment system, the ro unit will filter out anything getting past the softner and carbon or other units treating the water. So your ro water is good to drink. The Kinetco co should haqve been out quick to see or verify what is going on. It is possible they did not break ini the carbon properly and flush the unit proprtly so your getting fines thru the house, Yes mang is possible with shutting down the water for equip installation then repressurizing the pipes, you will get stuff that built up in the insides of the pipes to break free and go thru the faucets. But I would suspect more the co did not break in or flush the unit properly / completely before calling the job done. Let us know how things go. Tom.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: