How to change softener salt type

Old 04-06-08, 07:43 AM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to change softener salt type

Can someone advise me if I can just change from Potassium Chloride salts to Sodium Chloride salt at any time, or do I have to empty the salt tank and then switch to NaCL salts.

I'm having no issues with KCl salts, but would like to switch to the cheaper sodium, and maybe use the ones to remove iron.

My salt tank is about 1/4 full right now.

Thanks.

Old 04-06-08, 08:09 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by h15gus View Post
Can someone advise me if I can just change from Potassium Chloride salts to Sodium Chloride salt at any time, or do I have to empty the salt tank and then switch to NaCL salts.

I'm having no issues with KCl salts, but would like to switch to the cheaper sodium, and maybe use the ones to remove iron.

My salt tank is about 1/4 full right now.

Thanks.
You can simply put NaCl into the brine tank to change from KCl. Depending on your water conditions and IF your softener was correctly setup you may need to reduce the salt dose with NaCl to compensate for the difference in the specific gravity between Na and K.

Always a good idea to keep only enough salt (of any kind) in the brine tank to cover the water and check it once a week.

You can read up on NaCl and KCl here... http://softeningsalt.com/ from North American Salt. IIRC they are the largest softener salt producer in the western hemisphere.

Last edited by justalurker; 04-06-08 at 09:05 AM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: