Water in Brine Tank

Old 04-08-08, 10:35 PM
M
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Water in Brine Tank

At the end of the regeneration cycle there is about 18" of water in the bottom of the brine tank of my older Culligan system, and the tap water is still hard. I disassembled the control on top and replaced all of the "O" rings hoping that would fix the problem. That made no difference. What could be causing this problem? Can I repair it myself?

Old 04-10-08, 04:05 PM
C
The level may be correct, but it would be important to know whether the level goes down and then back up during the cycle and whether the salt has become a solid rock in the tank. You also didn't mention whether you cleaned the injector, which is the problem about 50% of the time.

Old 04-10-08, 08:33 PM
S
o-rings?

In a culligan machine there will always be some water in the sale tank. if there is more water than usual most likely the injector could be clogged. that is most likely the problem, but if not it could be an indication of a more serious, piston and or seal problem occurring inside the valve. hopefully just a clogged injector...

sean

Old 04-11-08, 12:09 AM
M
The level is about three to four times what it normally is and increases with each cycle (which I have stopped at this point). It seems that the water is coming into the salt tank as it should, but not going out to flush the softener?

Where is the injector you are talking about? There is a long tube that goes to the bottom of the tank which I assume is where the water goes into and also should get taken back out of the tank. Is this the injector? If I disassemble that what should I look for?

You said something about a problem inside of the valve? Where is this valve located? Is it something I can replace or repair myself?

Old 04-11-08, 12:25 AM
J
Originally Posted by markdinaz436 View Post
The level is about three to four times what it normally is and increases with each cycle (which I have stopped at this point). It seems that the water is coming into the salt tank as it should, but not going out to flush the softener?

Where is the injector you are talking about? There is a long tube that goes to the bottom of the tank which I assume is where the water goes into and also should get taken back out of the tank. Is this the injector? If I disassemble that what should I look for?

You said something about a problem inside of the valve? Where is this valve located? Is it something I can replace or repair myself?
What you are describing usually happens when the control valve (on top of the resin tank) does not create adequate suction to pull the brine out of the brine tank during the brining stage of regeneration.

The control valve is replacing the water in the brine tank that should have been sucked out during brining at the last stage of regeneration so more brine is made. That's why you have more and more water after successive regenerations.

It may be a simple repair.

Follow the 3/8" plastic tube FROM the brine tank to the control valve. Near where it connects or inside where it connects is the venturi or nozzle or injector. That part can get clogged reducing the vacuum needed to suck the brine out of the brine tank. There may also be a small screen in there that has also clogged.

It is also possible that when you replaced the o-rings they were not the exact same size as required and that may be adding to or caused the problem.

Culligan does not make tech info or parts available to end users. Some Culligan control valves are based on industry standard designs. If you post pics of the front, side, and back of your control valve maybe we can identify it and point you to a manual that will help.

Old 04-12-08, 11:11 AM
M
Thanks for the input. I will take apart both ends of the 3/8" tube and assemblies at each end to see if there is anything clogged. I am hoping it to be that simple. If not, while I have it apart I will attempt to locate a Culligan part number (or any part number) which I can post and attempt to locate a manual.
I'm pretty sure all of the "O" rings I replaced were either the exact fit... or just slightly larger. Either way the shafts went back into their respective locations (with a little silicone grease) just fine and produced no leaks.
Thanks again for your help.

Old 04-12-08, 11:33 AM
J
Post pictures of the front, back, and side of the control valve.

Old 04-24-08, 12:56 PM
M
Gentlemen,
Need to thank all of you for your inputs. The problem was at the end of the filler/suction tube in the brine tank. Not exactly sure what the problem was. However, I disassembled the unit and cleaned out the filter screens. I forced a little air through it and reassembled... and all is working at this point.
Thanks again for all your help.
Mark

Old 04-24-08, 05:55 PM
J
Thanks for letting us know the problem was resolved... that's how everyone learns.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: