Electronic timer problem (3200ET) on a 2" Fleck 3130 valve

Old 04-22-08, 06:41 PM
Super Moderator
Received 66 Upvotes on 61 Posts
Electronic timer problem (3200ET) on a 2" Fleck 3130 valve

The problem I am having with this five year old metered softener is that the system will initiate a regeneration and will go through its cycle up to rapid rinse.
When rapid rinse completes the tank fill light goes on but the timer is not energized to move the valve to the next position.
When the fill time lapses the timer will then move past the fill detent to the service position.

The same thing happens when you manually run through the cycles.

I have the wiring diagram for the timer but it is not clear to me when looking at the wiring diagrams whether circuit to the timer motor goes through the micro switches as a place to start trouble shooting.

Thought maybe the timer logic was Windows based and rebooted but no luck.

Old 04-22-08, 08:41 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
problem?

Id say it has to be a wiring problem. From what you have described it seems the micro switches are working ok. And the Timer thinks it is is switching from rinse to fill. And the motor is having no problem rotating the cam. So what else is there except for something messed up in the wiring? But if that is the case why has it worked for 5 years with no issues?

Old 04-22-08, 10:40 PM
G
Programming

Please post the complete programming profile.

Old 04-22-08, 10:49 PM
G
3200ET wiring and control logic

The 3200ET processor reads the status of Home/Step switches as high/low (on/off) and then makes decisions to send power to the drive motor or not. No current flows through the microswitches at all.

The MCU is looking for alternations between high/low on the step switch as the cam rotates between lands & grooves against the armature of the microswitch. In certain cases, a defective step switch can produce this symptom, where the MCU receives incorrect status and skips a cycle. A quick & easy test is to alternate the home and step switches to see if the problem can be replicated.

Old 04-23-08, 11:33 AM
Super Moderator
I not sure what "alternate the home and step switches" means.
I don't fully understand the function of these switches in how they relate to the timer.

I am able to follow a wiring schematic but I have been unable to find how the open/closed position of the switches relates to the cycle.

Old 04-26-08, 10:53 AM
T
micro switches

First un plug the unit. Then use a small phillups head screwdriver to just slightly loosen the screws that hold the 2 micro switches that ride on the main piston black cam. Re- tighten them but at the same time put slight pressure downward on both of them on the side of the of the switch oppisite of the incoming wire connectors. Tighten them just snug or you can break the switch. Should work now.
They have a tendency to loosen up over the years and move up just enough to not "click" when the cam rides under certain locations.

Good Luck TJ

Old 04-26-08, 02:47 PM
Super Moderator
Thumbs up Thanks for that TJ.

I was unsure how the micro switches affect the timer operation.

I'll give it a try.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: