Weirdest Kinetico story ever: Resin flowed out like lava

Old 04-29-08, 09:24 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Weirdest Kinetico story ever: Resin flowed out like lava

Is there a softener resin expert in the house ? This story is amazing. I acquired a used Kinetico system that is labelled 30/50 hand - written on the head. I had it in the garage for a few weeks disconnected from any plumbing and sitting in the corner. I had separated and laid down both tanks a few weeks ago and let the water flow out of the tanks. The former owner had told me that they had the head rebuilt, and also the brine valve was rebuilt. I decided this afternoon to unscrew the head from the tank. The head was on very tight, but I finally got it loosened and started to unscrew the head. When the head was fully unscrewed, instead of the head having to be pulled up to remove it, the resin pushed it up, and a massive amount of resin flowed out of the tank like lava flowing out of a volcano !!!. About a half gallon of resin came out before I could push the lead back down, and screw it down ! Then, I put a large pan under the tank, and unscrewed it again. And, again, the resin flowed out again like lava ! After another half gallon or so of the resin flowed out, then it started to slow down, and flowed more slowly until a total or a gallon or more of resin flowed out. This is from a very small / short tank that is maybe less than 2 feet high. The total volume of resin that came out, and the pressure of the resin was just amazing. Both tanks are entirely full of resin, but only the one with the system head had the resin under pressure. The other tank was just simply entirely full of resin. I understand that the resin volume can expand as it absorbs water, but this seemed way beyond this . If you are a resin / softener expert, chemist, etc, please let me know what you understand is the reason for this fascinating phenomenon. I have a few thoughts, but don't want to sway anyone, at least not yet.

Old 04-30-08, 12:36 PM
A
What color are the tanks? Black or beige?

Andy

Old 04-30-08, 06:50 PM
B
More info on the system

Hi, Tanks are black, are made of a top half and a bottom half ( ( not a one piece design ) and the resin is an orange color. The tanks seem more like a molded plastic versus a fiberglass wrapped tank.
The tank has a Kinetico 25th anniverary sticker 1970 -199x, it must be 1995, but part of label is cut off. So the system is about 13 years old, I would guess. The guy I bought it from said its a K51, but I cannot find any reference to a K51 that I can find. The other label has a place for a model and serial #, but appear blank / not filled in.

Old 04-30-08, 09:07 PM
S
bypass

was there a bypass on the tanks?
if there was, there could have been pressure built up in the tanks. and if you somehow managed to get the valve bodys off some resin might have come out when you got them off due to pressure coming out. other than that i have never run into resin flowing out of tanks standing upright that are not partially frozen{yes in Michigan we have to deal with frozen tanks occasionally)

sean

Old 04-30-08, 09:44 PM
B
Tanks were not connected for at least a month from the water supply

Sean,

You make some good points. These particular tanks that had the large amount of resin flowing out of them had been disconnected from water supplies for at least a month, have no bypass valves, and are in central Florida, so were not frozen. They probably hardly ever saw temperatures below 70 degrees on average.

Another point to consider is that the resin that flowed out with such force was essentially nearly dry, that is, not mixed with any noticeable amount of water.

Also, these had been connected to a city water supply with typical Florida free chlorine level of 1 to 2 ppm.

Thanks,

Bob

Last edited by bobtr; 04-30-08 at 09:48 PM. Reason: typo fixed
Old 04-30-08, 11:02 PM
C
These are packed resin bed, upflow service systems. You are exactly correct about the resin expanding when it was wet. Another factor may be the chlorine in the city water, which may have made the resin beads slightly friable (that's the best word I can think of to describe the fracturing expansion that takes place from chlorine). I would re bed these with new fine mesh resin before attempting to put them back in service.

Last edited by HotxxxxxxxOKC; 05-01-08 at 07:41 PM. Reason: Removed URL
Old 05-01-08, 03:31 PM
B
What would cause the massive outflow of resin from the tank ?

thanks for your post, but,
What would cause the massive outflow of resin from the tank ?

There was a huge amount of resin that flowed out. The best visual is to think of a volcano with the whole top of it over- flowing and flowing out very fast ! And its really amazing the the distributor ( filter with tiny slots that separates the water from the resin ) could hold back that much pressure for that long.

Last edited by bobtr; 05-01-08 at 04:39 PM. Reason: typo
Old 05-04-08, 07:10 PM
B
How much resin would it take to replace in a Kinetico K51

This system was made around 1995, has very short black plastic tanks, and has a head labeled 30/50.

Should there be some free space in the tank after the resin is replaced. If so, how many inches in the tank should be open ?

Thanks.

Old 05-04-08, 07:43 PM
A
These were designed to have packed beds. But if you left an inch or two at the top, that would be OK. You must use fine mesh resin, not standard mesh.

You will need a prefilter before this unit. Make sure there is no more than 1 ppm iron going into it.

Remove chlorine with a carbon filter as this will make the system last longer and work more effectively.

Why it flowed out the way it did is a bit of a mystery except that inside pressure was excessive.

Andy Christensen, CWS-II

Old 05-15-08, 12:20 PM
F
help!!! iron tank recharge with resin

I need help redoing resin in a mclean iron tank, backwash type only. What do i need to get & how do i do it.

Old 05-15-08, 12:29 PM
J
Originally Posted by fixitnowruss View Post
I need help redoing resin in a mclean iron tank, backwash type only. What do i need to get & how do i do it.
Russ,

You need to know how to start a thread so your question won't get ignored when you hang it on the end of someone else's unrelated thread.

You should get instructions for replacing the media from whoever you choose to buy the media from.

click here for generic instructions on replacing media... your situation may vary

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: