Pinhole in top of water pump

Old 05-08-08, 03:34 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Pinhole in top of water pump

The electric water pump that pumps water from my well water softener system to my house and yard has developed a very tiny pinhole leak at the top near the outlet end. The leak is in the top of the actual cast-iron body of the unit, which seems weird to me. I assume it's rusting from inside. It's releasing an almost invisible fine stream of water (at first I thought it was a hair) about an inch high that results in a little puddle accumulating on top of the unit when the outlet valve to the yard water pipe is turned off. No detectable leakage when the valve is open. This started when I had to turn the valve off several times over the last week to work on the sprinkler lines. Is there a fix?

Old 05-10-08, 06:59 AM
Y
Received 22 Upvotes on 21 Posts
You might try something like Liquid Steel that comes in a tube or A&B Epoxy putty that comes in a stick.

Turn off your pump for a day or so and force a little stuff down the hole with a pin and your finger. A little dab on top after you clean the surface and turn on the next day.

How about jamming the pin or needle down the hole and tap with a hammer.......than using the product on top?

Old 05-10-08, 08:04 AM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The leak is probably a weak spot from the original casting of the pump.

I would not stick anything into the pump as it may rot off and cause more problems.

I would turn off the power and drain down the water. Dry off and clean the pump. then use the 2 part stick epoxy. 2 brands come to mind are Propoxy and Harveys.
These epoxies harden like steel and can actually be drilled and tapped once dry. I have used them a few times to sole problems without replacing a part.

Old 05-10-08, 09:28 AM
A
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Band-aids are nice but major treatment may be needed.

My guess is that your pH is low and the acidity in your water is causing corrosion. Check you pH, if it is lower than 6.5, I would suggest a neutralizer to counter the pH problems as what you are seeing may just be the tip of the iceburg.

Andy Christensen, CWS-II

Old 05-11-08, 05:50 AM
S
I should add that it's over 15 years old. Normal wear?

Old 05-11-08, 07:35 AM
Group Moderator
Received 173 Upvotes on 135 Posts
Normal wear would be more like a bearing or the brushes. A leak in a cast iron piece would be more like what plumbingod and Andy suggest.

Old 05-11-08, 07:33 PM
S
OK, I'll get a pH kit tomorrow. The well water is super high in iron, if that indicates anything.

Old 05-11-08, 07:38 PM
S
One additional question: how to drain the pump?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: