Anyone know about Cuno/Aqua-pure softeners?

Old 05-09-08, 09:04 AM
D
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone know about Cuno/Aqua-pure softeners?

I'm exploring all my options here - I know I won't be installing any softener myself so I gave my plumber a call.
I have "a connection" to this company thru work so I should get some decent pricing for any labor and any equipment I order thru them.
They use Aqua-pure softeners made by Cuno.
(It's hard to search on this forum for "aqua and/or pure" because tons of non-related posts come up)
From what I could fine online, they appear to be similar to other softener systems you can buy online - standard parts built together with the heart of the systme being the Fleck, Autotrol or maybe Clack valves.

Can you guys confirm this or give me any other pertinent info?

I'm not deadset on buying equipment or anything from them. I would probably use them for the labor to install if I buy something else from somewhere else. I might still go w/ Kinetico or someone who does their own installs - like I said, I'm just keeping my options right now trying to figure out exactly what I want/need.

thanks

Old 05-09-08, 09:34 AM
J
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aqua-Pure softeners are often sold through plumbing supply companies and are referred to on their web site as "the choice of professional plumbers". IMO that statement, with respect to real professional plumbers, casts a shadow of doubt on them. They are mass assembled from generic parts (that's OK) but with no consideration for your specific water treatment requirements.

Plumbers are great for hooking up the "inny and outy" but are not best for softener setup and usually underwhelming for softener repair. Best to deal with water treatment pros.

I would investigate local water treatment professionals both branded and independent.

Branded dealers, like Kinetico, will cost more but they have their advantages. They are intimately familiar with their products, stock parts, and are well trained.

Independent dealers will offer industry standard softeners which will sell for less. The real difference between independent dealers is the quality of their work and how well they stand behind their products.

Both will install and setup their softeners and do their own warranty work.

Get a water test from an independent lab. It will cost you money BUT an independent lab won't be trying to sell you water treatment equipment. If you can't find a local certified lab in the phone book go to http://www.epa.gov/safewater/labs/index.html to locate a certified lab near you. This is a MUST DO because without it everything is a guess. A quickie water test from Sears or a water softener company won't be as accurate (and possibly not as competent) as from a certified independent lab.

If you're on a water system the water utility can supply you with the specs of the water AS IT LEAVES their facility but that is not necessarily representative of the water conditions at your water meter.

Hit the Yellow Pages and call at least three local water treatment pros. Make sure you call at least one of the big dogs like Kinetico or Culligan for comparison and at least a couple independent pros. DON'T TELL THEM YOU HAD YOUR WATER TESTED.

Give each an opportunity to offer suggestions and provide you with a quote to meet your water treatment needs. IGNORE ANY THAT DON'T TEST YOUR WATER THEMSELVES, regardless of how well they say they KNOW your water, as they can't speak intelligently to water treatment without knowing what needs to be treated.

Ask lots of questions. Softening the entire house or just the water heater (a bad idea)? Warranty, parts & labor or just parts, how long and on exactly what? Install, permits required, licensed plumber? Routine maintenance and costs? Do they stock parts? Response time for emergency (water leak) calls? If they don't explain things to your satisfaction that is a good indicator of how you'll be treated after the sale.

After they've gone use your water test to compare with their's. Are all your treatment needs being addressed?

Ask your neighbors if they have any water treatment experience. They might tell you who's good or who to avoid.

Come back here and post the specific recommendations and hardware components with the costs and we'll give you our opinions.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: