Help opening up a Kinetico controller head unit

Old 05-14-08, 06:14 AM
R
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help opening up a Kinetico controller head unit

My Kinetico softener has stopped cycling through the regeneration stage [no salt is being used] and before I open up the controller head I was wondering what I will find in there. My softener goes through the regeneration stage if I turn the screw on the top of the unit but it is not starting by itself so I thought maybe something inside the unit head has gotten clogged or a gear is stripped. I am afraid that if I remove the ~10 screws and lift the part I may be getting into a very complex, tough to reassemble group of parts. Can someone comment on how difficult it is to get everything back together and even better would be an outline of the steps to disassembly/assembly. The softener is at least 12 years old as I have lived in this home for that long and it has two off- white ~18 tall cylinders with a black control unit to one side if that helps describe what I will find inside.

Thank you in advance,

RET

Old 05-16-08, 03:35 AM
R
Has no one opened up a Kinetico softener?

RET

Old 05-16-08, 03:06 PM
A
Opening the valve is not difficult. But what happens then cn be tricky. Many peopel forget jst how things are placed and don't put it back together in the same order.

Or they find a aprt that appears to be broken or damaged. You would ned to contact a dealer and get a replacement part.

Just make note carefully when you remove parts. I would let the dealer do it for a service charge.

Andy Christensen, CWS-II

Old 05-23-08, 01:27 PM
R
Thank you Andy for your reply. From what I have read here Kinetico is very secretive about diagrams and information but is there a source of any information that would assist in disassembly and then reassembly?

Thank you

RET

Old 05-31-08, 03:51 PM
D
Head assembly

We just went into the head assembly and rinsed it and put it make together. But we did call the service tech first time. It is not difficult once you see it is done. You do need silicone if you are going to lube the valves. Also this time we replaced the o rings - so my husband took the whole head assembly to the main kenetico store to get the right rings. They were very helpful in showing him how the valves unscrewed etc. The service call was not overly pricey. He worked quickly. But if you have a main store in your area or call your local dealer they may have the parts or direct you, like ours did, to the the main store. They are very helpful.

Old 06-10-08, 10:43 AM
R
Thank you for your insight "davis.fox"!!

I hope to get a few people to comment on their experience opening the head assembly and your comments were helpful as it sounds like it was not horrendously difficult. Id love it if someone could describe what is in the head assembly and if possible a diagram would be great [even hand drawn] before I dig deeper into the assembly.

Thanks in advance,

RET.

Old 06-10-08, 04:12 PM
A
What model do you have? I might be able to help you a little.

Let me know. Send a Private Message if you need to.;

Andy Christensen, CWS-II

Old 06-11-08, 03:48 AM
R
Andy - I am not sure which model it is but maybe a description can help figure it out. The two resin tanks are beige in colour and ~ 18 inches tall with a diameter of ~ 8 inches. The assembly head is offset to the right and is black in colour and ~ 6 inches in diameter. It is at least 12 years old as I have lived in my home that long and it was here when I arrived. Is the model somewhere on the unit?

How do I send you a private message?

Thank you,
RET

Old 06-11-08, 01:14 PM
A
RET 45

I sent you a private message.

Andy

Old 07-16-08, 07:21 AM
R
THANK YOU Andy Christensen !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

With the help of Andy I got my Kinetico water softener working again. He went out of his way to get the required information to me.

RET

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: