Old 05-15-08, 11:28 AM
M
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Water Boss opinions?

Hardness: 120mg/L
Iron: 0.13mg/L
Manganese: 0.06mg/L
PH: 7.5
(either a 7 grains or 9 grains depending on how you calc it).
6 people in the family (no special plumbing).

Anyway
I had been looking over the Kinetico systems but they want $1,800 plus $200 for shipping (and they don't service my area, they said it is to far from their home office).

I started looking at the local stores for what they have.

I came across the Water Boss 900. They claim it will handle a much higher amount of iron than I have.
Also it has many "features" like the Kinetico (such as it uses soft water to fill the brine tank, and also it recharges on demand instead of a timer. Only one tank though, but at 2am the only thing that may be used would be a toilet).
And it is priced at $449 (which is amazing)... I think that is my concern, if it works why does it seem so much cheaper?

Mike

Old 05-15-08, 11:52 AM
J
Originally Posted by MikeJoel2 View Post
Also it has many "features" like the Kinetico (such as it uses soft water to fill the brine tank
Uses soft water to make brine but uses untreated water for rinses. Less desirable with iron.

... and also it recharges on demand instead of a timer.
With less resin volume and a packed bed how often will it regenerate?

On demand softeners are the most common now days. Even Sears softeners are.

Only one tank though, but at 2am the only thing that may be used would be a toilet).
Your choice...

And it is priced at $449 (which is amazing)... I think that is my concern, if it works why does it seem so much cheaper?
It definitely works but does not work indefinitely so let's look at what you don't get for $449...

Warranty... only parts, no labor. Tech support long distance with no local service or parts stocking dealer. Parts out of warranty are expensive.

Quality... lesser quality materials. Quality softener control valves are made of brass or Noryl (a very high tech material). Waterboss made of ABS.

There isn't anything in this economy you can't get for less.

The question is, how much less are you willing to accept and how little you're willing to pay for that much less.

In the long run you'll do much better to look to industry standard softeners where the tech info, parts, and service is readily available. There always seems to be someone everywhere who services Fleck control valves as they are the defacto standard in the water treatment industry and have been in service for decades and decades and decades and decades.

Take a look at Fleck 9100SE based twin resin tank softeners. They 'll get you soft water brine and regeneration, soft water 24/7, EZ access to parts and tech info, but will require AC power. Most of the Kinetico benefits but not all.

Have you searched this forum for waterboss? Some good reading.

Last edited by justalurker; 05-15-08 at 12:10 PM.
Old 05-15-08, 12:11 PM
M
Yes I agree with a lot of those points.. the problems with the support though will be pretty universal.

Kinetico told me flat out they wouldn't service up here and since there are no local suppliers of any softeners all transactions would be by mail.

So I have to forgo the support side since it appears I won't get much no matter who I buy from.

Mike

Last edited by MikeJoel2; 05-15-08 at 01:38 PM.
Old 05-15-08, 12:18 PM
J
Yes I agree with a lot of those points.. the problems with the support though will be pretty universal.

Kinetico told me flat out they would service up here and since there are no local suppliers of any softeners all transactions would be by mail.

So I have to forgo the support side since it appears I won't get much no matter who I buy from.

Mike
Then your smartest move is to buy the correctly sized hardware that won't break and is backed up by complete documentation and EZ parts availability.

I'm confident that if you look around there is someone who services Fleck control valves.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: