Kinetico 2020c regenerating forever

Old 05-19-08, 07:42 AM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Kinetico 2020c regenerating forever

Hi everyone

I'm a newbie to this forum... also I'm from the UK...sorry!

Anyways, I have just bought a brand new 2020c and had it fitted by my plumber. It seems to work fine except that when it regenerates, the water keeps going through for hours & hours till I turn off the mains supply and turn it back on again. Then it was fine till the next regen when it did the same thing.

Can anyone tell me if my plumber may have made a mistake (as he had never seen a kinetico before!!! I know!) or whether it is my unit?

TIA...

edit: Oh, BTW, the plumber has performed a simple install - no double check valves in or out and no by-pass. There is only one valve and that is the on the main incoming pipe.

Last edited by knightrider; 05-19-08 at 09:44 AM. Reason: more info
Old 05-19-08, 01:42 PM
A
I have never heard of the situation that you are describing whereby the draining stops only when you shut off the water and everything is OK when the water resumes.

Is it a used peice of equipment? Why didn't the dealer install it? Maybe call a dealer and have them check it out for you. I know the 2020c is a common unit in the UK. It will work great for you once you solve this problem.

I will ask a service tech in what would cause this unusual problem.

Andy Christensen, CWS-II

Old 05-19-08, 02:42 PM
K
Many Thanks for your reply AndyC

The dealer sold it to me on a supply only basis.

I was originally going to DIY install it. But then a plumber friend said he would do it for me as a favour because I've been too busy with work & studies (scholarship in IT...final year).

Anyway, I sopke to a techie at Kinetico UK and he said get the dealer to look at it and that they should then call Kinetico if they cannot resolve it.

I must say that when I turned off the mains the first time this happened, the unit made a loud 'clunk'. Then I turned the mains back on and it was fine. Few days later when the same happened (I presume it was time for the second tank to regenerate) It didn't make the same loud clunk, but a very soft one. Its fine again now.

Also, when it was brand new and in the box, I noticed some water around the in & out ports when I unpacked it - I just assumed it was wet because it may have been factory tested.

Old 05-19-08, 06:22 PM
A
The initial install takes a few little tricks (that coem second nature to service techs) that assures the install and initial service is trouble-free.

Slowly letting them fill with water and learning how to avoid air-locks can avoid some issues. There are arrows on the valve ports indicating which direction the flow should go. Are you using a Kinetico by-pass or ano off-market/generic type?

Cash-n-carry can be offered but with some reservation as to lack of basic set procedures. Once learned, and certain obsevations followed, then most anyone can handle it.

Once you get it up and running. let us know what caused these problems. The service tech should retest your water (unless it is common knowledge) and check salt setting and hardness setting. It will work out for you.

Andy Christensen, CWS-II

Old 05-20-08, 11:16 AM
K
update

Thx again AndyC.

OK, the 2020c might be ok now

So far, as previously mentioned, the unit has had to re-generate twice since installation (2 sundays ago) and on both occassions it would not stop backflushing without me turning off/on the mains.

The unit re-generated again at some point over night or yesterday evening and there was no need for me to intervene. The bottom of the unit was full of water (melting away a new piece of block-salt) and there was no constant running water audible.

Dya think it might have settled in now?

I can see a dial at the top that allows me to manually re-generate. I was loathe to doing this because i did not want to re-generate with un-brined water. So I will wait till it re-gens next and see what happens. I'll keep you posted.

Old 05-20-08, 12:30 PM
A
I spoke with a service tech and mentioned that it might be plumbed in backwards or there was an air-lock during inital hoo-up. By going through regeneration (once for each tank) you may have eliminated the air-locks.

Good.

You can manually regen it after about three hours. That should be enough time for the salt to dissolve. You don't need much with that unit.

Keep us posted.
Andy Christensen, CWS-II

Old 06-07-08, 12:07 PM
K
Unhappy update

Hi folks,

OK - so since my question in another thread about 'Is softened water safe to drink' I decided to 'T' in to the mains supply just before it enters the Kinetico and run a pipe to the kitchen for drinking. No problems with that.

However, since then, my Kinetico has come back to this problem that 1 tank regenerates without problem, the other one regenerates and you can see the dial indicate that Brine & Backwash have completed, but you can still hear water running through and out the waste and the unit does not fill till I turn off the mains (you hear a clunk) then turn it back on and the unit fills with water and stops an inch above the saltblock grid.

Is there anything I can do to sort that one tank out?

Also, the unit goes about 1 day before generating the bad tank and then about 3-4 days before regen'ing the good one - or have I got that the wrong way round... lol

Any help much appreciated

Last edited by knightrider; 06-07-08 at 03:00 PM.
Old 06-10-08, 12:26 PM
K
anyone?

Old 07-07-08, 08:32 AM
K
Question

Hi,

Is it possible that my main water pressure (coming in to the unit) is too high?

The reson I ask is because I have just performed a backwash on each tank with the main faucet open only slightly... and both tanks behaved perfectly!

TIA..

Old 08-03-08, 01:55 PM
K
I think I make have an airlock in one of my tanks.

Does anyone know how I would remove such an airlock?

Old 08-03-08, 01:58 PM
A
If you put it into manual regeneration, you will hear the air gurgling through. Do you know how to do that?

Andy Christensen, CWS-II

Old 08-05-08, 09:16 AM
K
Hey Andy

I think so, well at least thats what I thought I did

On top of the dial, there is a crosshead screw. I got a screwdriver and pushed down on it andn turned clockwise till the little black dot reached the Brine/rinse and then let go. The thing then went through that and backwash before coming to a rest 15'ish minutes later. I then waited a few hours (to let some salt dissolve) and then did the same again for the next tank.

No problems, both tanks regenerated. But I'm still at this point where we seem to run on one tank for, like, 4 days and then regeneration happens and then we're on the next tank for only about a day tops! Oh, and just as we get to that tank that lasts a day, it's like the backwash has completed but a valve gets stuck and water still passes to drain and the brine tank does not refill, until I lower the incoming pressure. Thats when you hear a 'clunk' and the brine tank refills. Just as we get to the tank that lasts 4 days, there is no problem with water passing to drain and the brine tank filling

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: