Softener - Fleck 5600-SE: Strong smell in water after installation

Old 05-22-08, 12:28 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Softener - Fleck 5600-SE: Strong smell in water after installation

Folks, I bought a Fleck 5600-SE 68K water softener from QualityWaterTreatment and installed myself about a week ago. When I turned bypass valve to "Service" for the first time, I saw SST60 resin (dark brown mix) floating through my drain for about 10 seconds, and when we opened taps we saw same dark brown scarry water coming to our taps. I then let water run for a while and it got to a point where it seemed transparent. There was this strong smell of resin in water that I thought will go away but guess what, I was wrong!

It has been one week now and digital meter is showing 1000 gallons have been through. But we still have this strong smell in water and we cannot even think about drinking it (even after it comes through RO system in kitchen). Water looks transparent in hands but brown in bath tub if filled.

I have tried to run more water through by opening all taps for 10 minutes but no success. I believe small amount of resin is still getting mixed with water for some reason.

Calling qualitywatertreatment and left a voicemail but they dont seem to bother. I am wondering what did I do wrong? Below is my setup/settings:

1 - Resin was left in tank for about two weeks before I could finish installation (because I had to move to some other high priority work after starting installation process)
2 - we have 1" Copper pipes, 1" Steel bypass valve, and using SST60 resin (just picked this resin during checkout since it said it was going to save me money over time by using less water and less salt )

3 - There are 4 heads at home including a child - and based on 24 gpg I came up with following: Regeneration is set to 2500 gallons, we have 40 lb normal salt in the brine tank (after filling it about 4 inches I poured salt and now can see water in the tank among lot of salt - water level seems 4-6 inches higher than initial level I had in the start when I turned on the water)

Please help us ... dealer is not responding

Old 05-23-08, 02:31 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Odors

Pour 1 gallon of regular unscented bleach into the brine tank and regenerate the system. Then run all cold water in the home for at least 20 minutes.

The odor will most likely dissapear after that.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: