Need help sizing a softener

Old 05-31-08, 12:00 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Need help sizing a softener

Hi,
I need help to correctly size a softener. I'm thinking of Fleck 7000 or Clack WS-1.

#of people = 4
SFR = 6 gpm
water usage= 50 gpd
#of bathroom = 2

Chlorine= 1.6 ppm
Hardness= 11 gpg
pH = 8.2
Iron = 0

Thanks,
Chia

Old 06-04-08, 10:36 AM
S
I would go with a 40,000 grain unit.

Old 06-04-08, 02:58 PM
A
I would say that 50 gpg for four persons is VERY conservative. It would be closer to 50 per person per day, or 200 or more gallons.

I recommend to my prospects a system that both removes the effects of chlorine and softens the water at the same time. Personally, I would avoid any system that mixes carbon for chlorine removal and resins for softening in the same tank.

Getting a system that doesn't concern itself about whether you are serving 1 person or 8 is an ideal piece of equipment.

Kinetico's 4040s OD can serve you very well. The duplex operation gives you endless, high quality water service and had a very high salt effeciency and uses very little water for regeneration. Two tanks remove concerns for clorine and two tanks soften water for continuous water treatment.

The Clack and Fleck valves are very good valves for single-tank applications. You will need to calculate how much water you actually use on a daily basis to make them work at their optimum. A twin-tank system unit will not need to be concerned with variable number of gallons on a day to day basis; just match it to the water quality parameters.

At 11 gpg, it will work wonderfully.

Andy Christensen, CWS-II

Old 06-04-08, 10:49 PM
M
Andy & Steven -

Thanks for the reply. I'm sorry, it's 50 gpd x 4 people. Fleck valve fits my budget better and I'd decided to go with the 5600SE 32K grain capacity. I think it should do the job.

Galvin

Old 06-05-08, 04:34 AM
A
You have made a good choice. Be aware, though, the chlorine is an enemy of resin and will constantly degrade the quality of your resin composites.

Eventually, and it could take years, the resins will become 'mushy' and their softening ability will decrease. The effects can be seen, felt (some say heard) and tasted. Consider a carbon/KDF filter capable of handling your high chlorine levels.

Good job. I hope your ater is all you can make it to benefit your family and household.

Andy Christensen, CWS-II

Old 06-05-08, 10:50 PM
M
Andy,
Do you consider 1.6ppm of Chlorine high? It seems that there is also a downside in absense of Chlorine.

Galvin

Old 06-06-08, 05:08 AM
A
I'm not sure what you imply by by 'downside' in chlorine removal. Rememtber, chlorine is a strong poison capable of destroying life. It is a very durable chemical and I, personally, don't like the idea of putting disinfectants into my digestive system, or absorbing into my skin, or inhaling them into my lungs for extremely long periods: for a lifetime.

It's purpose in municipal water supplies ends at the faucet. Beyond that, there is little use for it in our diets, on our skin or any other wholesale benefit.

I believe that the residual chlorine count of 1.6ppm is great and it indicates that the city is doing its job at assuring you water lines and its distribution system is functioning. I have tested city water taps with NO chlorine and that would worry me.

Andy Christensen, CWS-II

Old 06-06-08, 06:50 AM
D
If you want to remove chlorine, you could do a whole house filter or just point of use filters - kitchen sink filter, R/O system, KDF shower heads, etc.

Old 06-11-08, 01:29 AM
To DIY or hire a pro?

Wrong forum. Sorry

Last edited by Ntrikit; 06-11-08 at 01:30 AM. Reason: wrong forum
Old 06-11-08, 01:36 PM
M
I do have a under the sink R/O system for drinking and a shower head filter for chlorine removal. So I think I'm well covered.
Thank you guys for all the inputs.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: